Sounds rather bizarre to me

RhodesRhodes Posts: 1,584Member
One of my books (by Russ Shipton, I think) says something about slapping the strings with the right hand to produce a percussive sound for playing reggae style songs. Sounds rather bizarre to me. Anyone know what it means...?

Comments

• SwoopSwoop Posts: 680Member
    Yeah. Slap the strings with the palm of your hand.

Strum the first beat and for the second slap the strings, then go back to strumming again and maybe add another slap on the last beat of the bar. It gives a kinda syncopated rhythm.
  • RhodesRhodes Posts: 1,584Member
    Thanks. Is that slapping the strings to deaden the sound, or doing it really quickly to, er, do something else? I don't seem to have the tapes to go with the book, and am having some difficulty in working out what on earth it means.
  • SwoopSwoop Posts: 680Member
    Do it quite quickly. You sould get a slightly jingely sound. Experiment with it. Do what you feel sounds best.
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Posts: 1,716Member
    ATTENTION!

YOU ARE PLAYING REGGAE.

THE TASTE POLICE HAVE BEEN CALLED, AND WILL BE ROUND TO CART YOU'RE STRING VEST-WEARING, JAMAICA-FLAG HANGING ASS TO JAIL.

(Unless you are UB40 in which case you will be shot, that's just how it is....)

;\)

Cheers,
    James
  • Paladin2019Paladin2019 Posts: 1,607Member
     Quote:
    Originally posted by LooseMoose:
    ATTENTION!

YOU ARE PLAYING REGGAE.

THE TASTE POLICE HAVE BEEN CALLED, AND WILL BE ROUND TO CART YOU'RE STRING VEST-WEARING, JAMAICA-FLAG HANGING ASS TO JAIL.

(Unless you are UB40 in which case you will be shot, that's just how it is....)

;\)

Cheers,
    James

Chill, mon!

Jammin'... an' we hope ya like jammin' too...
  • Options
    It could possibly mean slapping as in bass slapping...on occasion yours truly has been known to play bass styles on guitar (slapping, popping etc).

StickMan may be able to provide further insight on this subject. There's absolutely no way I'm gonna attempt to explain slapping in my cuurent knackered state. ;\)
  • RhodesRhodes Posts: 1,584Member
    I'd like to make it quite clear that I am not a fan of reggae in any way whatsoever! I much prefer Leonard Cohen and The Stranglers. Things like that. But I was curious about people slapping guitars even when they hadn't misbehaved.
  • Options
    Bah, following around after Pedro clearing up the messes he leaves .. it's no life \:\)

Slapping on guitars usually means a palm slap as described above, although with practise you can do the same thing with your fingers still in finger picking position. That kind of slap can be heard in the intro to that annoying Extreme song that every clutz works out how to play on guitar and thinks they're gods gift (well .. worked for me) .. "More Than Words" I think ..

However it's also true that some folks try to apply bass techniques to the smaller six string electric. Slapping with your thumb won't get great results in general due to string sizes and fretboard clearance. However, the 'popping' method used by bass players certainly will work, and is common in country music (one of the the only two kinds ...). Simply hook the tip of your fingering / strumming finger (I just know Pedro's giggling by now) under the string and pull up sharply letting the string get pulled away from the freboard and then 'pop' back into place. This can be heard on the intro to 'Funky Monks' from the Chilli Peppers BloodSugarSexMagic album.

Don't pull too hard though or you'll snap a string or at least go waaaaay out of tune. Just enough to lift the string clear of the others should be fine.

Ta