Gold-plated cables

RhodesRhodes Posts: 1,584Member
Andi#'s messsage about directional cables prompted this, for no partcular reason. I am perfectly happy with my bog standard cables, so don't intend to replace them, but what do people think of the gold-plated ones you can get? Do they really make any difference at all?

Comments

• LooseMooseLooseMoose Posts: 1,716Member
    Cables, a lot of bull is spoken about them - suffice to say that gold connectors make very little difference compared to clean, normal connectors.

What is important is good quality cable and connectors - The Planet Waves by D'addario take this further with compression connectors (which expand inside the jack to ensure a good connection) and have an extra co-axial 'screen', which means that they are directional and do seem to handle noise fairly well....

To be honest, my favourites have ALWAYS been George L's (hint hint Richard!) as you can make your own lengths up - no need for soldering!

Cheers,
    James
  • Options
    Considering how low-fi your average guitar amp is, I see no reason to spend silly money on cables. Buy some Switchcraft jacks and a reel of Canare and make them yourself.

George Ls are perfectly good but overpriced for what you get.
  • Options
    ...I think quality cables DO make a difference, (better clarity on the mids and highs) but I only notice it at a decent volume level, i.e. gigs.
    However the best thing you can do to improve your sound is to get your amp up off the floor!!
    My favourite cables are Planet Waves, and their not too pricey either. I'm not convinced by all the "science", but they sound good to me, are reliable, and fit snugly.
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Deswahriff:
    ...I think quality cables DO make a difference

I wouldn't dispute that, but there's a lot of shameful hype around cables. As I said, a reel of canare and a bag of Switchcraft jacks - plus a little patience and a soldering iron - will give you cables as good as you'll ever need.
  • Options
    As long as I've got a cable that's not gonna go dead on me after only a few weeks, I'm happy \:\)
  • RhodesRhodes Posts: 1,584Member
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Uncle Chappie:
    As long as I've got a cable that's not gonna go dead on me after only a few weeks, I'm happy \:\)

My sentiments precisely. Do many cables just fail?
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Rhodes:

In about 10-11 years of playing I've had, probably, 3 cables have the plugs break (usually just needing resoldering), and probably 5 or so that started to crackle. But I always bought cheap nasty cables back then.

You might also be surprised at the difference that a good cable makes over a poor one. The really expensive ones aren't worth it, but a £20 cable should give an audible improvement over a £10 one - and might well come with a lifetime warranty.

[ 26 November 2002: Message edited by: andira ]
  • RhodesRhodes Posts: 1,584Member
    Oh dear. Mine only cost me about £8 for a 10 foot / 3 mertre jobby. And it wasn't the cheapest in the local shop either. Perhaps one day I shall treat myself to a glow in the dark one or something.
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Rhodes:

a few months back, my daughter's then boyfriend brought his bass round for me to have a look at, as it kept "cutting out"..turned out to be the cable, a not very old Proel,.. which is probably not the worst make....
    Andira's right, and even if you perceive no sound improvement in a "better quality" cable, at least it should be built to a better standard and be more robust,.... but no need to get silly, unless you're just so wealthy that you don't care!
  • Options
    generally cables are like most kit

you get what you pay for,

expensive cables can have better screening from interference and carry signals better along their lenghth

it might not be really obvious in smaller bedroom sized cables (3 or so meters) but with longer lengths it can make a big difference zakk wylde uses really long cables and has them made completely of gold so his signal is as pure as possible

David
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by The Enema:
    zakk wylde uses really long cables and has them made completely of gold so his signal is as pure as possible

Then he's a fool... gold is a pretty shoddy conductor. Copper is better, and silver is best. Gold is used for coating plugs because it doesn't tarnish and maintains its so-so performance for longer. \:\)
  • Options
    Food for thought:- I paid £12 for a 10' Klotz cable and it sounds fine. On some US forums like Harmony Central I've heard the yanks raving about how these cables are great but expensive($40-50). Now in the USA they are expensive as they are imported from Germany. But here in the UK they are cheap-and just as good as the very same 'expensive' cables that these people consider 'high end pro cable'. So beware of the bull that surrounds the mythical magical qualities of a instrument cable!!!!!!!!!