I was wondering

SwoopSwoop Posts: 680Member
I have a Kustom KGA16R with a CD input and I was wondering if it is possible to plug another guitar into it instead of using it as a CD input?

Am I crazy for asking this?

The reason:

I want to take my electric guitars to my lesson tonight. I'll use the tele (of course) and the lad can use the Cort (coz I'm nice). Power chords are this weeks lesson.

Comments

• Options
    I *think* this is the right answer \:\)

your CD input is made to have a signal from a pre-amp, & therefore you cant plug a guitar into it.
    HOWEVER if you run the guitar through your effects unit, & into this input then it should work

I think.....
  • HerbieHerbie Posts: 893Member
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Swoop:
    I have a Kustom KGA16R with a CD input and I was wondering if it is possible to plug another guitar into it instead of using it as a CD input?

Am I crazy for asking this?

Not crazy at all... some older amps (Vox's in particular) allowed you to plug the entire band into the one amp! However I don't think this one is going to let you.

The reasoning... generally the output from any electrical audio equipment can be described as either Instrument Level or Line Level. Things like electric guitars and mics give Instrument Level outputs whereas CD players and guitar amps provide Line Level. Line Level being higher than Instrument.

The CD input on your amp will be expecting a Line Level i.e. much higher, than a guitar will be able to provide, and as such will be very, very quiet.

That's my take on it, at least... You shouldn't do any damage to either amp or guitar if you try it, but I would expect particularly good results.
  • HerbieHerbie Posts: 893Member
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Ted McCluskey:

HOWEVER if you run the guitar through your effects unit, & into this input then it should work

Possibly!

Rack gear runs at Line Level, I'd imagine that multieffects do as well, so therefore, you should be able to plug a guitar into the multifx and then the output of that into the CD input and you'll have noise... The VAMP should do nicely!

Single pedals won't work though.
  • SwoopSwoop Posts: 680Member
    It did work. I plugged the tele in to the CD input via the v-amp. It was awfully loud. I have the master volume turned down to almost nothing. It sounds quite good. Better than the cort in the guitar input.
  • Options
    the v amp boosts the signal so its comparable to a cd input

without the v amp you would hardly be able to hear it (especially since you cant ajust the volume of a cd input to raise it to comparable levels)

David