Looking to get a new electro-acoustic

Not the DJNot the DJ Posts: 914Member
edited April 2017 in Guitar Chat
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a new electro-acoustic, with the idea to develop my fingerstyle playing. I currently use a Yamaha APX-9C, which is great for strumming rock covers, but not quite what I'm after now.

I also own a Simon and Patrick 12 string, which I love, so I'm very tempted with the SP6CW Folk. Hopefully I'll be trying one out in Regents on Saturday.

Any others people would recommend?

Thanks,

Col

Comments

• Options
    Hi Col,

Seagulls are from the same stable as S&P and generally similar woods and quality with lower prices. For fingerstyle I couldn't recommend anything close to the Seagull/S&P Folks at anything close on price.

Some of the Tanglewoods are good for fingerstyle; I bought a TW45 electro, because I preferred the quality of the pickup (B-band) to what was available on the S&Ps; since then, S&P have adopted the B-band pickups.

The Taylor Big Baby sounds good fingerstyle, too, but try before you buy - the neck is a little narrow if you're doing complicated stuff.

Cheers,

Jon
  • Not the DJNot the DJ Posts: 914Member
    Thanks Jon, I knew you'd have a good answer to this.

I just want to make sure I've covered all the options before going with the S&P.

Now all I need to do is sell something to allow me to justify buying another guitar to my wife!

Col
  • Andy VarneyAndy Varney Posts: 882Member
    Col, I would recomend the S&P. As for Mrs DJ, how about:

1 - i was going to buy a Harley/Fireblade/R1/Ducati etc but decided to go for this lovely guitar which won't widow you, I can always sell (HA!), won't leak oil over the drive and I can use to make money by gigging to a whole new audience.

2 - Andy Varney just bought a guitar four times this price so just think of the money i'm saving us.

3 - think yourself lucky, I haven't got as many guitars as Andy.

4 - while i'm playing my guitar you know what i'm doing, where i'm doing it and (more importantly for men of our age) who i'm doing it with.

There we go Col, sorted. Any problems just pop round for a coffee and i'll get Mrs V to explain the benefits of an all absorbing hobby for your hubby.....ahem, maybe not!

Andy \:\)
  • Not the DJNot the DJ Posts: 914Member
    Thanks Andy. I did just splash out on a mountian bike the other month so she does think I'm being a bit frivolous recently. That I managed to justify by finally getting round to doing some exercise!

It is sometimes difficult explaining that I 'need' another guitar, but I'll win her round in the end.

Col