Beginner

ZapPeRZapPeR Posts: 3Member
Hey Guys/gals

i have recently bought a Jaxville custom series guitar that came with an 20W amp i am a beginner i have never played before and just want to ask if anyone could give or share some tips would be great i am going to try and self teach myself i have always wanted to play electric guitar so i am very committed

Here is a link to a picture that is my guitar

file:///C:/Users/user/Documents/My%20guitar/My%20guitar.JPG

Comments

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator
    Hi there and welcome. My advice, having bought your guitar, would be to take it to a reputable guitar stockist and pay to have it set up professionally. That can make a huge difference to the playability of a guitar and the easier it is to play, the more you will want to play it and the quicker you will learn.
    You will get plenty advice and encouragement here so don't be scared to ask. Once again welcome, and enjoy your learning.
  • BertaRobinzBertaRobinz Posts: 2Member
    The link you provided of your guitar is the link of your local computer. You need to attach the pic with your post. Your link really looks funny in the forum though. No offense.
  • ZapPeRZapPeR Posts: 3Member
    copy this and paste to your search bar
    i dont know how to post the pics with my post its confusing
    [url=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160977678387?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1793wt_959]ebay[/url]
  • ryperryper Posts: 97Member
    ZaPeR - An easy way to add photo's is create a flikr or photobucket account, when you add photo's to the account there is a list of link types on the righthand side of the page, you can copy the link and paste in here. and All being right should show your photo!!

I say easy, I have just tried and not one of my links has worked?
    Anyone else wanna try see if they have the same problem? I have used this method on all the pics I have put on all forums...Confused!!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 980Member
    I haven't any experience of that particular brand but these days the quality of 'student' guitars made in the far east are miles better than those available to us old farts in the 60s and 70s so it won't hold you back I suspect. You have embarked on a great journey of discovery in owning and playing the guitar (jeez I'm sounding like a book intro) and this here forum is an excellent place to start, read loads, follow links and spend lots of time playing and practicing. Having a few lessons from a good guitar tutor will set you up far better than almost anything else, once you are under way you can pick up more from books, videos and forums.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
  • ZapPeRZapPeR Posts: 3Member
    Thank you to everyone who replied it helps a lot i have made a Photobucket account now and uploaded many photos [img]http://s1283.beta.photobucket.com/user/ZaPeR2/media/Myguitar4_zpsc3ee7ffb.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0[/img]
    also i have fitted my whammy bar (if that's what they are called) and love it very much what would you guys suggest i should learn first i was thinking i slowly learn and advance through the chords or should i slowly learn a few songs and familiarize myself with stretching the fingers a lot? :) im also quite confused with the two tone knobs on my guitar i know they do what they say on the tin but im pretty useless with them half the time they seem they don't do a thing

Many Many thanks to all who answer and who answered
    ZaPeR
  • JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator
    I started by learning three chords so I could accompany songs. However this was back in the days pre-internet and learning on your own was literally that. There is a ton of good learning material out there now and more YouTube videos than you could watch in a lifetime. The guys will have plenty advice but "Guitar for Dummies" isn't a bad place to start.
    As for your tone controls, the front one should adjust the neck pick up and the rear one the middle pick up. The bridge pick up has no tone control. However, many guitars the tone controls are extremely ineffective, especially on a budget priced instrument.
    Your five position selector switch should be: Pos 1 (forward) Neck, Pos 2 Neck and Middle, Pos 3 Middle, Pos 4 Middle and Bridge and Pos 5 Bridge. Hope this helps.
  • SkoylieSkoylie Posts: 58Member
    Do a web search for " Justin guitar " . He's got an amazing site with all you could want from beginner to advanced.
    I think as long as you are picking the guitar up and playing it's a good start, I personally started learning songs, I found I was naturally integrating a lot of chords anyway..also found it taught me to pay more attention to the style and manner in which the song was played, I guess the technique involved is a better term. Although I wouldn't say it was better then starting with chords, I have friends who started with chords and are decent players (I think it's whatever suits the individual). I think if I was to learn from scratch again, I would add a lot more theory... still Learn songs like I did (It suited me), but add scales, notes, chord names and shapes properly... It would of helped avoid some of the ruts I have played into!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 980Member
    Zap there are lots of technical guides online as well as in the flesh tutors, just don't get too competitive with yourself and forget that it's about making music. If thrashing 3 chords and singing along makes you smile then that's great. More and better technique will follow but the song is the thing not just the guitar break! :blush: I still think a few face to face lessons to get you started is a big plus.