How to make practice more effective?

MaceMace Posts: 5Member
Hi - .just joined up. I am waiting for a new Faith Venus from Richard - cannot wait to pick it up.
Anyone got any ideas on how to make practice more effective?

Comments

• jollytunesjollytunes Posts: 0Member
    Hi, Mace, and welcome to the forum. I think you sort of answered your own question on Michu's post, it's all about making time to practice. I have a Faith Jupiter which is a lovely guitar but I'm ashamed to say it gets very little use sitting in its hard case. I always think you're more likely to pick a guitar up and play it when it's to hand, and a guitar in its case in another room is out of sight, out of mind.

To which I'd add if practising starts to become a chore it's easily to become discouraged from doing so. Don't get too hung up on when and what you choose to practice. A little practice often is better than feeling like you are doing it out of a sense of duty.
  • LotusLotus Posts: 332Member
    Watcha Mace.

Whereabouts in Staffordshire are you matey?

Im in Stone and I have a jamming-buddy in Lichfield who's off to see Richard next month to try a Faith (although I'm not sure which model)

Graham
  • jollytunesjollytunes Posts: 0Member
    Another Staffs strummer here but as I'm almost into Derbyshire probably spend as much time there. Anyone here ever tried busking locally?
  • martinsmith99martinsmith99 Posts: 388Member
    Hi there!
  • JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator
    Welcome Mace. I second having a guitar to hand. I always have one sitting on a stand, both in my living room and here at work. it means I can pick it up and practise whenever I get the chance. I do a minimum of 10 minutes every day. Normally I do at least half an hour but on days I am pressed for time I still squeeze in 10 minutes.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
    Hi and welcome Mace! Re the practice, one tip is to always go for accuracy first and foremost, and worry about the speed later. Actually, once you have something you've practiced working well and accurate, the speed tends to come automatically anyway.
  • MaceMace Posts: 5Member
    Hi - I am up North in Stoke so not far away
  • LotusLotus Posts: 332Member
    I work in Hanley matey so we are indeed neighbours laugh

Graham
  • GeardogGeardog Posts: 6Member
    Welcome
  • McCulloughHowardMcCulloughHoward Posts: 39Member
    Hey - We're based in stafford! It's good to finally see other people in the west midlands. We were starting to think we were all on our own.

A bizarre little tip that came to me when i was investigating learning disabilities a few years back:
    The first stage of sleep is that the brain processes any "new" information learned during the course of that day, so... ... ...if there is something that you are really struggling with try playing it just before you go to bed and it will be the first thing your brain refers to!
    I have tried it out with a couple of insane, contorted jazz chords to great success.
    Welcome. Glad to see you are participating and not just after free advertising.
    Thanks I will try that - Do you have a shop in Stafford owr workshop?
    Thanks - I have friends in your area, I think ,Leven? They used to live in Kirkcaldy
    Small world.
  • MartinGrundyMartinGrundy Posts: 3Member
    Hi
    Back playing after a gap of over 30 years!
    Fylde Orsino is my current steed, but will have to go to make way for a Leonardo.
    I am something of a deviant in that I also play Bouzouki (Irish type).
    Martin
  • MartinGrundyMartinGrundy Posts: 3Member
    Hi Mace
    I really agree with the advice to concentrate on accuracy and let speed look after itself.
    It is really important to practice doing it right - the physical movement gets stored in a part of your brain for automated movements (things you do without thinking about them) and if you practice too fast and make mistakes you end up learning to play it wrong. Overcoming that and learning to play it right means 'unlearning' the wrong action, which is much harder than learning it right to start with.

Martin
  • penrith petepenrith pete Posts: 18Member
    hi and welcome - i am new too!
  • richcastlerichcastle Posts: 64Member
    Welcome!
  • McCulloughHowardMcCulloughHoward Posts: 39Member
    Hi Mace.
    We have a workshop here in stafford. Not long set up!

(sorry for the delayed reply, had a lot on my plate)