How I can avoid this?

martinsmith99martinsmith99 Posts: 375Member
edited September 2016 in Technical or Theoretical Questions
Ok, here's the deal, when switching between Strat with vintage voiced SSS pickups and the Hot humbuckers in my Explorer I get a difference in volume. As my EQ pedal has 4 programme slots, I set the volume of the one I use on the Strat to match the volume of the explorer, so when clean there is no difference in volume and ther is promlem solved.....or so I thought.

I run 3 drive pedals: Biyan OD, Vox Satchurator distortion & Biyan Fuzz Star (not all at the same time), all of which I set to unity volume for the Strat. When I switch to the Explorer, I get no real noticeable volume boost when kicking on the OD or the fuzz by themselves, but I often use these 2 together and then I get an unwanted volume boost. I also get a volume boost on the Vox when used by itself. I also have a compressor before the drives and that doesn't help either way.

Any ideas why or better still, how I can avoid this but still use the drive pedals.

Thanks

Comments

• The TiggsThe Tiggs Posts: 333Member
    Try the compressor at the amp end of the effects line - this should be able to smooth out some of the volume difference.

I think its more of a perceived volume issue due to the difference in sounds of the two sorts of pups?

Anyway, when did guitarists say they didn't want a volume boost.
  • Ape09090Ape09090 Posts: 2,744Member
    Pick up height adjustment maybe?
  • martinsmith99martinsmith99 Posts: 375Member

Originally Posted By: Ape09090
    Pick up height adjustment maybe?

No, I've already tried that. Even with the HBs screwed right down, it still happens.

Originally Posted By: The Tiggs
    Try the compressor at the amp end of the effects line - this should be able to smooth out some of the volume difference.

I think its more of a perceived volume issue due to the difference in sounds of the two sorts of pups?

The compressor sounds horrid after the drive pedals. That's where I wanted it really.

It's not a perceived boost, it is very noticeable and doesn't happen on all drive pedals.
    The only thing I can think of trying is swopping around the position of the overdrives and fuzz boxes in the chain,maybe some fine tuning there will smooth things out a bit.
  • LurcherLurcher Posts: 710Member
    A real tricky one, Martin. I'm sure you understand that your Explorer sends out a very different type of signal and that is what the pedals are responding to, so even though the clean settings seem to be at similar volume, there is more from the Explorer for them to do their stuff with. The only real 'cure' for that is to have two chains of pedals and an A/B switch which is not very practical.
    If its any consolation, I have a similar thing with my #1 a PAF loaded LP and my Cort with EMGs. In my case I can mostly get around it with my MFX by having a set of sounds for each guitar (e.g. 1-10 for the LP and 11-20 for the Cort).
    No doubt the electronics whizzes will have ideas about modifying the pedal circuits so there is less difference in the response but that is way beyond me.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Posts: 355Member
    I'm guessing one or more of the drive pedals you're using have a mid-hump that keeps the strat pickups roughly at unity, but make an overall increase with the mid-heavy humbuckers in the explorer.

You could try a bit of a V shape in the Explorer-specific EQ setting, but that may make you clean sound a bit weak
    Originally Posted By: stickyfiddle
    I'm guessing one or more of the drive pedals you're using have a mid-hump that keeps the strat pickups roughly at unity, but make an overall increase with the mid-heavy humbuckers in the explorer.

You could try a bit of a V shape in the Explorer-specific EQ setting, but that may make you clean sound a bit weak

Thanks. I'll give that a go. I only really use 2 of the 4 slots on the EQ, so no big deal to assign one for dirty.
    or just add a volume pedal and use that to balance the two out.
    Originally Posted By: Ape09090
    or just add a volume pedal and use that to balance the two out.

Well I did sort of do that by moving the EQ to the start of the chain, but with both guitars clean I could balance, but adding drive boosted one, but not the other.

Stickyfiddle may have found the answer. I messed around with EQ settings and have something very close in volume. Nice one. Thanks!!