Best method for me to learn

GregoryGregory Posts: 2Member
edited September 2016 in Technical or Theoretical Questions
Hi there, I'm just a novice guitarist after having tried and failed to learn the instrument 20 odd years ago. I'm determined to have a better crack at it this time though and have bought myself a couple of guitars in the past six months. I'm still trying to figure out the best method for me to learn so I'm trying all sorts at the moment. I take lessons once a week/fortnight from a friend which is giving me a target to reach for the next lesson. I also trawled the internet for help and Justin Sandercoe's videos are moving me along. I also intend to try out the local college course once I feel a bit more comfortable about my playing. This website too is a source of inspiration and hope I'll one day be worthy of being called a guitarist. In the meantime, I'll just keep on trying

Comments

• The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member

Welcome Gregory!

It's great that you've decided to pick it up again. What guitars did you buy? What music do you enjoy playing? Don't worry about being where you are on the road - you're still a guitarist. image

• ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 980Member

Good man, keep trying is the key, sometimes it just seems like you haven't progressed in a while but in fact you will have consolidated what you learned in the mean time so keep going. It might be wise to visit a professional tutor for some occasional one to one. Mates are good but a trained pro can spot bad habits developing and give tips and hints along the way.

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator

Welcome Gregory. Hope your playing moves along nicely. It appears you already have the GAS aspects of playing guitar sorted out. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) The rest should come easy.

Tell us a bit about your music and your guitars.

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,314Member

Welcome to the forum Gregory.

Quite a common story this starting up guitar again. Like the others I'm interested to know the gear that's sparking your renewed interest.

Can be a bit confusing all these options for learning - but probably better than 40 or so years ago when I first tried (and failed) to play guitar when there was so few options available.

An occasional one to one with a professional tutor to spot bad habits early on makes sense. In the longer term don't rule out the possibilities of paid lesson sites for on line lessons either. At around $20 a month for JamPlay or $15 a month for GuitarTricks it doesn't beak the bank and there's no long term commitment - a good paid site will give you structured learning too. If you do find them worthwhile places they quite often do one off special deals - currently I'm on $100 for a year at JamPlay which I felt had better interaction with tutors. I'd be bankrupt if I'd had these JamPlay lessons one to one locally!

I've recently struggled with the question of what way to continue doing lessons (yes it's still confusing after several years) and I found this linked site quite good on a balanced appraisal of the types of lessons - best way to learn guitar? Not that it answered the question for me!

• Robert NesbitRobert Nesbit Posts: 19Member

Hi Gregory, welcome,you mentioned Justin Sandercoe,as a YouTube tutorial source, I would have to say,I would wholeheartedly endorse that statement,I'm teaching several budding younger,( and quite older) guitarists at this time,and tell them to take advantage of Online Videos, as an appendage to actual physical lessons, anyway,feel free to ask any advice from the many experienced players on this Forum,good luck.

• GregoryGregory Posts: 2Member
    Thanks for all the replies and encouragement, you've made me feel right at home already :-)

The23rdman, I first bought an acoustic guitar as I was listening to a lot of Johnny Cash. It's a Vintage 1400. Looking at opinions on forums etc. they get a bit of a mixed review. I hadn't tried out that many beforehand but this one is certainly easy to play and makes a lovely deep tone. I guess I got lucky there.

Most music I listen to though is heavier rock, Metallica, Nirvana, AC/DC, Faith No More, but I like all sorts really. Because of this I'd always fancied an electric guitar and thought, with my birthday approaching, I'd treat myself and see which style in joyed playing more. I was originally planning on getting a stratocaster style guitar but after playing 2 or 3 of them, I found I couldn't get comfortable with them. I then tried a Les Paul style and it immediately felt like an old friend. I kept an eye open for a second hand one and up came a Gibson Les Paul Studio less than a mile away from me. It must've been fate ;-) Anyway, I got a cracking deal from the guy as he included a hard case and a Line6 amp. And I'm a happy bunny :-)

I'm really enjoying playing both guitars, for different reasons, but I can't see me ever wanting to choose one or the other so I guess they're both here to stay image
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
    Vintage make some really good guitars and I'm only a bit jealous of your Paul. image Having instruments you love is half the battle. I look at all my guitars with love and can't wait to play them.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator

The Les Paul will last you a guitar playing life time. You may decide to upgrade your acoustic sometime in the future, as your skill levels climb.