Burny guitars

GilbyGilby Posts: 87Member
edited August 2016 in Guitar Chat
Any one played one ? I need an opinion on the necks, wether they're slim like a 60's gibson or chunky handfuls.
Cheers in advance.

Comments

• LesterLester Posts: 1,677Member, Moderator

I have two Burny guitars and one Gibson with a 1960's slim neck. I'm just back from a gig and will be out all day tomorrow. I'll check on Monday for you when I'm back in the studio.

• GilbyGilby Posts: 87Member
    You're a star. Cheers fella.
  • Richards GuitarsRichards Guitars Posts: 589Member, Administrator
    Originally Posted by Gilby:
    Any one played one ? I need an opinion on the necks, wether they're slim like a 60's gibson or chunky handfuls.
    Cheers in advance.

I would say they are very much in the 60s neck category.

Thanks Richard. There's been a rsa60 up on eBay (twice) with no takers and I've been very tempted both times but I hate buying blind.
    I'm very much in the chunky neck camp hence the query, the seller seems to be unclear about what I'm asking him. Despite him selling a number of guitars in the past I get the impression he's not a player and may be trading out repossessions or some such (?)
    If it wasn't such a good price I wouldn't even entertain the idea.
  • martinsmith99martinsmith99 Posts: 375Member
    I'm not a Gibbo expert by any means, but having handled a few Burnys, I'm impressed with the build quality.  I don't remember the neck being significantly chunky or slim.
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,677Member, Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Originally Posted by Gilby:
    I need an opinion on the necks, wether they're slim like a 60's gibson or chunky handfuls.

The simple answer is that the '60s reissue Gibson neck on my ES-339 is slimmer than either of my Burny necks, the Burny Les Paul being just a bit thicker and the Burny jazz even thicker. I didn't have a measuring device, just my hands. You say you like a thicker neck; when I bought my ES-339 it was available with either a thicker '50s reissue neck or a thinner '60s reissue neck. You might prefer a '50s neck.

Chunky handful is a relative term. I consider my Guild 12 string with dual truss rods and my 5 string MusicMan Stingray bass to have necks that are chunky handfuls. Burny and Gibson are both less than a handful in my hands - but my hands may be a different size to yours.

As for an opinion on the necks, both Burny necks are much nicer to play than the Gibson (even though I prefer a thinner neck). This is mainly because Burny fretboards have a smoother finish than teh Gibson and when sliding between notes (with the fingers, not a slide), the Gibson frets are more vertical and act like a barrier trapping my fingers whereas Burny frets have a slope which allows fingers to slide over them. I would advise at the very least getting your hands on a Gibson and a Burny, regardless of the thickness of the neck, just to see which one feels better to you.

Hear what you're saying Lester. I have absolutely no burny dealers in my area though. I did compare a burny to an epi a fare while back but alas my memory of the event is a bit vague.
    Thanks any way folks.