What prevents nails from splitting?

Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member
This might not be in the right place to post this - maybe better in Marie-Claire? Does anyone use a proven product that prevents nails from splitting?  For 30 years I've struggled with getting my nails just the right length for fingerpicking and then one of them breaks.  More usually they seem to split at the edges just above where they join the skin.  I can adjust and use a thumb pick and just about get by  (actually trying to convert to using one full time), but never have got on with finger picks. So any paint on solutions to this (that are not visible either - not sure bright red on three fingers and a thumb would go down well in customer meetings)?  My missus has tried me on various things over the years but to no avail. Cheers, Reg.  

Comments

• geoguitargeoguitar Posts: 252Member

Reg, I've been pickin for fifty years, there's no easy way round it other than finding a product that you prepared to do the preparation work with viz nail gel / acrylic (false) nails / silk weave etc, etc.

I personally couldn't be bothered with all that hoha so -

When I have need my nails to be in 'good playing condition' for gigging I burnish the edges with very fine W&D finishing paper, it's the little 'burs' and raggity edges that start to tare causing them to 'break'.

Trim 'em back some and start the process burnishing before and after playing.

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member

Get a good pencil sharpener.

I find that pointed bone works better than nail.

(In an emergency: Tissue paper, super glue and an emery board nail file.)

• stateitstateit Posts: 55Member

If you smoke - stop smoking. Take up vaping e-cigs if you must - your nails will improve no end and get stronger. I've vaped since October and my nails are the strongest they've been.

If you do manual work (I do) wear gloves at all times. I'm a sparky and there are thin nitrile gloves that you can still assemble fine things with and that still manage to protect from slipping scewdrivers, drills and chisels. Matrix F-Grip Nitrile coated by Polyco. 

Take a vitamin/mineral supplement or stop drinking. I take the supplement.

And as above - file, burnish & polish any snaggy bits on your picking hand. Leave the nailbiting for the fretting hand.

• fingersforbesfingersforbes Posts: 56Member

Hi Reg - I have dabbled with my own nails (which usually break just before a gig lol) without nails (which I got used to but missed the attack) and pasting on acrylic (which is something I've done before and I've come back to.)   The sound from using acrylic over your own nail is quite pleasing. It's a little louder and full.  Benefits would be - full tone if you like that, you can easily make/sculpt a new strong nail if you break one.  Downside is that you need to maintain them about once a week/fortnight by filling in acrylic at the top where the nail is growing out. If you don't fill in- then the acrylic nail starts lifting at the top edge and water etc gets under which only quickens the demise of said nail!   It costs about 25-40 pounds to buy the liquid,powder and acetone for cleaning the brush and it'll last you years.    I know lots of players that do this - some go to a salon (Jessie's lol) and some do it themselves (real men) ; )   I haven't tried superglue and paper under my nail or ping pong balls but I might experiment with my thumb nail first as most of the time I use a thumb pick.   Anyway - I need to go now, I'm booked in to the salon to get my legs waxed and a spray tan. ; ).  

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Hi All,  Thanks for the replies.  As I suspected, no magic remedy but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I've never smoked and do tend to try and keep my nails tidy.  One thing I've noticed when comparing nails against others is my nails grow out from the skin slightly lower than some people.  This means for the nails to grow out to be the same length of my fingertips they are around 3/16" long already.  Perhaps it's just genetic.

Cheers,  Reg.

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member

Salted oat biscuits, rum and Fisherman's Friends should do the trick

Here

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

A mate of mine and his band recorded their first album while he had a stinking cold.  It was a self-funded jobby and studio time was pre-booked and would have cost to change.  As a joke they called out Fisherman's Friends on the "Thanks to..." list, and they somehow got to hear about it and sent him a box of about 2 dozen packets.

Think I'll try thanking Bentley next time....