Most iconic guitars of all time

mikehayescontactmusicmikehayescontactmusic Posts: 1Member
edited August 2016 in Guitar Chat
Hendrix's Monterey Strat, Slash's Les Paul, Angus Young's SG, Prince's Cloud. Some of the most iconic guitars of all time, but which is the most iconic? Would love to hear all of your opinions and suggestions on this topic to find out really which is the most iconic guitar, who's got the best axe? let battle commence!

Comments

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Carthy's original Martin 000-18 bought secondhand in 1963.

• LesterLester Posts: 1,706Member, Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Originally Posted by mikehayescontactmusic:

Hendrix's Monterey Strat, Slash's Les Paul, Angus Young's SG, Prince's Cloud. Some of the most iconic guitars of all time, but which is the most iconic? Would love to hear all of your opinions and suggestions on this topic to find out really which is the most iconic guitar, who's got the best axe? let battle commence!

Larry Carlton's 335, BB King's Lucille or Hank Marvin's red Strat, the first one ever in the UK, a present for him from Cliff Richard. There are many as many famous guitars as there are outstanding players. Stevie Ray's Strat, Steve Vai's 7 string, Steve Morse's MusicMan, Van Halen's striped guitar, EC's Blackie, Brian May's homemade or Nigel Tufnel's yellow guitar from Spinal Tap.

Amongst guitar players Hendix is revered perhaps as much as anyone else and his distinctive Strat is likely to be at or near the top of a poll for most iconic.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 968Member

Peter Green Les Paul but apparently he didn't rate it.

Paul McCartneys Hofner Violin Bass.

Willie Nelsons Martin or what's left of it.

Johnny Cash's Black Gibson.

Peter Framptons 3 PU Les Paul Custom

Gene Autry had a couple of very recognisable guitars (perhaps less so today) his Martin D45 being highly valued and copies made in the mid 90s when he died are selling for north of $15k today.

Roger McGuinn and his 12 string Ricky

I suspect the poor abused acoustic of John Martyn deserves a mention.

Keefs 5 string Tele

Bowies Blue acoustic, Mick Ronsons 68 LP custom too.

This list could go on and on, has anyone got any duracells handy....

• SteerSteer Posts: 132Member

Some great suggestions already that are hard to beat. Just to add to the list:-

Mark Knopfler's National

Chet Atkins' Gretsch

Lindsey Buckingham's Turner Model 1

• Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,716Member

Django's Macaferri

Clarence White's D18 that became Tony Rice's D-18, I believe

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,206Member

Wes Montgomery's Gibson L5 "Heart" archtop which was found in very damaged condition, and restored by Gibson in the 90s. See here: http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/wesg.htm

• dharma66dharma66 Posts: 829Member

Good thread...made me think...

Personally, if I'm honest, for me we have:

Randy Rhoades white LP Custom (the incredibly rare copy of which is the only signature guitar I ever really lusted over)

Stevie Vai's triple necked heart

Jimmy Page's double neck 'SG' (actually an EDS-1275)

Was trying to add another video to the post above, but for some reason the forum won't let me... Anyhow, Emily Remler's red ES330

Now enough jazz! image

• manofgresleymanofgresley Posts: 137Member

Here's my two penneth.

Make it Twang, Duane Eddy's GUILD - Model DE-400

Make it Sing, Mark Knopfler,s NATIONAL "O"