Pickguard glued joint failed

Recently the pickguard on my custom electro-acoustic gave way and I removed it. The pickguard was glued to a little angle piece screwed to the end of the neck and this glued joint failed while I was playing. (Clearly I have strong finger pressure!) The pickguard tilted up around the angle bracket attached to the side of the guitar. I can play without the pickguard but I think the guitar looks nicer with it in place. Yes, I can re-glue the pickguard to the angle piece but I think there is a fault in the design. Pickguards on other guitars like Gibsons seem to be supported against finger pressure by resting on a collar surrounding the pickups. Unfortunately my pickguard is cut away around the pickups. I could get another one made up which only had cutouts around the central screw at the side of the two pickups, so that it could rest on the pickup collars. But what can I do with the existing one? Seeing as I would always play the guitar electrically away from home, the acoustic sound is not that important. Would a piece of rubber, say, jammed between the pickguard and the guitar surface be a bad thing? Would it affect the sound drastically? What sort of rubber, or other material, should I use? Otherwise I can see the glue giving away again in another ten years’ time!

Comments

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator

You could always glue it then drill a small hole through the pick guard and use a black countersunk screw and a nut with a spring washer to hold it. 3 or 4mm would do. There is room between the two neck screws to accommodate that.

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,191Member

It's a nice looking guitar btw - what make/model is it? image

• docjohndocjohn Posts: 9Member

I like the idea  of a small black screw. (However the ivory-coloured binding around the guard means the screw won't be in the corner but further out.)

I collected the guitar in 2003 from its maker, Adrian Farmer of Wadhurst. This was the last one he ever made before he went abroad to Holland to live and work. Unfortunately since then, I've lost contact with him.

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,191Member
    Originally Posted by docjohn:

I like the idea  of a small black screw. (However the ivory-coloured binding around the guard means the screw won't be in the corner but further out.)

I collected the guitar in 2003 from its maker, Adrian Farmer of Wadhurst. This was the last one he ever made before he went abroad to Holland to live and work. Unfortunately since then, I've lost contact with him.

Ah - hand made job, I thought it looked nice. Definitely no drilling holes through the top to mount the scratchplate then. I think if it was me I'd just work with the existing arrangement for the scratchplate, and maybe just try to get that working a bit better. Hope you can get it sorted OK.

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator

Gluing the pick guard, every 10 years, is hardly a problem. And with glue improving all the time you may extend that period.