How to get started properly playing bass?

Ninja_RebornNinja_Reborn Posts: 124Member
Since I started recording at home I decided that I would take the time to learn a few more instruments - starting with Bass. So I have ordered a Squier VM Precision Bass and a TC Electronic BG250 208 combo.  Hopefully the UPS man will have delivered it by close of play. So I'm looking for tips on how to get started properly (as opposed to just plonking around).  In the past I've always approached it as a 4 string guitar, which I felt was wrong. So any tips would be much appreciated (also pointers to web based resources that will help). EDIT: should add that I'm just looking to be able to play competent bass lines with some degree of "feel" - not looking to play epic bass solos! cheers paul

Comments

• BryBry Posts: 652Member

Sounds vaguely familiar image

I quickly tired of recording track after track with the same guitar and it led to attempts to learn bass, keyboard, mandolin, ukulele, clarinet, banjo, harmonica, accordion and melodica. Only success was with uke though.

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator

Welcome to playing bass. Nice choice of gear. I recommend you have a look at Scott's Bass Lessons.

I have a Peavey Milestone IV

Guitar Peavey Milestone IV 31-5-11

and a Stagg amp, but I just DI my bass into Reaper for the times I need it.

I played bass back in the 70's and my tips would be:

1) Listen well to the drummer and synch with him.

2) Don't try and play the guitarists parts.

3) Don't try and do too much.

4) Keep solos for when you play in your bedroom/studio/practise room.

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

I'll follow this with interest as I'm in the same position.  Well, not exactly as I don't have a UPS man on the way, but a bass is on my future build list (one after next).

Good tips there Jocko.  When I was in a band we never had a drummer, but I had the pleasure of playing with a good bass player who provided a lyrical driving rhythm while not stepping over the other instruments.  It really made me appreciate the value of a good bass player, and we never really missed not having a drummer.

Cheers, Reg.

• Ninja_RebornNinja_Reborn Posts: 124Member

Cool thanks guy - this is my second "go" at bass - my first was several years back when I acquired a Yamaha RBX170 (I was really in the market for a Peavey like yours Jocko, but could not locate one in the time frame),

The RBX was OK, but I never really took to it - it may have been the looks that only a mother could love -  it was distinctly modern in design,  I was also trying to do too much at the time as well - keyboards, harp and so on!

I also think I feel into the realms of point 2 - I was trying to play my usual guitar parts

I found Scott at the weekend - I really like his channel.

• LesterLester Posts: 1,730Member, Moderator

Following on from Jocko's 4 tips:

5) Record direct into your DAW (as Jocko said). Add EQ and compression in the DAW.

6) Learn to play bass with your fingers instead of a plectrum.

To expand on Jocko's fist point, play along with the rhythm of the kick drum.

Quick question Lester.  I've finally managed to grow, and maintain, a decent set of fingernails for playing guitar.  However they aren't what I'd call thick and gnarled.

When playing bass with fingers, would you use nails or the pads of the fingers.  If nails, do they need to be stronger than required for ordinary guitar.  If pads, would nails get in the way?  I've not really got the geometry of it in my mind having never attempted to play bass previously

Cheers, Reg.

I only use my fingers, mainly the thumb and the side of the finger pad. Nails have never been an issue. Short or long they never seem to get in the way. Not like nails on my fretting hand which are always too long!

• LesterLester Posts: 1,730Member, Moderator

As a guitarist I like longer plucking hand nails for fingerpicking but bass requires the pad of the fingers, not plucking the string with the nail, so I have to file my nails for bass. Going by Jocko's experience, you will have to work out what works for you.

Have a look at this page and in particular the last photo and the paragraph above it which relates to it. The whole article is a good solid basis on which to start out.

The other really helpful thing a bass playing friend told me when I started was not to fret the strings with my fingertips as I would a guitar; instead, press down with the pad of the finger, where your fingerprint is, a bit like you would when typing on a computer keyboard.

I seldom have REALLY long nails. I consider mine long when they reach the length of the finger pad.

I agree with Lester regarding not using the tips of the fingers to fret the strings. I was never taught bass. I just got on with it myself and found using the pad of the finger the natural way to deal with thick strings. It is a case of doing what feels right, and works, for you. You will probably find you use a bit of both at times, depending on what you are playing and how ingrained it is into your muscle memory. I sometimes struggle using tips of fingers when playing guitar!

My recent bass playing has been using my brother's Squier Jazz Bass, purely because we use it during our jam sessions, so when he fancies a shot on guitar, I play his bass.

Peter's Jazz bass 24-8-11

He also had this one, but punted it when their band broke up.

Peter's Fender Jazz bass 7-4-13

All good tips here.  Not sure I'd want to sacrifice my hard fought for nails for bass so as Lester suggests I might have to work out a different approach, or just compromise and resort to a plectrum.  Still, it's a way off for me as it's a couple of builds away before I even get to pick a bass up.

Cheers, Reg.

• Ninja_RebornNinja_Reborn Posts: 124Member

Love that 70s Jazz.

My stuff arrived yesterday and so far impressed - the Bass is just plain lovely - fit and and finish is superb - forgot how much I love Lake Placid Blue as a colour.  Most impressed with the action - my last bass experience (around 2007) was with a Yamaha RBX and it was very hard to play, by comparison the Squier is a breeze.

The little(ish) amp is also very impressive - 2 x 8 inch drivers give a very full tone that will easily rattle anyone's floor boards. Aside from how it sounds it's relatively light and compact so is easy to live with too.

I played around for a couple of hours last night and really enjoyed it - found a couple classic riffs quite easily which was big confidence boost.  Spotted 3 areas where I' immediatly weak - firstly I have to build some wrist strength and some power of my little & ring fingers.  Secondly I need to coordinate right hand fingers a bit better (I adamant not to use a pick until I have finger style sorted out). 

The most frustrating thing so far is getting used to the gaps between strings!  It's not so hard for the E & A, but D & G seem a little tricky.  I suspect this won't take too long to get used to.

I'm probably going to (gulp) do a little youtube vid over the weekend and will post a linky.

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,314Member

Good luck with getting the Bass playing together.

Good advice already about the pads of the fretting fingers and yes I would say best avoid using the finger nails - if I do use them I inevitably get over-enthusiastic and by the end of the session I have chips out of the nails, which does not help the guitar playing at all.

The gaps between the strings should become easier pretty quickly. Longer term it was the stretches with the longer scale length that I found was a sod. Eventually ending up with a short scale bass to ease the pains.

I agree with Jocko - don't try and play too much. There are some very effective bass lines which are relatively simple - on their own they can sound a bit dull, but combined with other instruments and they come alive somehow and add a lot to the music. With experience you can maybe get much more complex and end up as a Jack Bruce, Andy Fraser, or a John Entwistle - but probably best not to attempt that too soon!

It's great that you've got into getting to grips with some good riffs quickly - it keeps the enthusiasm going and suggests you'll be good at it. I always used to like having a go at the "Born Under a Bad Sign" bass riff when I was trying to learn.

I'm looking forward to your video!