PAT/Public Liability.

onemanbandonemanband Posts: 94Member
Last Friday night gig at hotel, part of a large well known hotel chain. First time in ages, I was asked to produce my Public Liability and PAT (Portable Appliance Test) certificates. Produced both, only to be told that my PAT certificate was out of date by over one month and I would not be able to do the gig. (Unfortunately, I get asked for these so infrequently, I had let it lapse).
I tried blagging that the PAT test, like a car MOT was ONLY proof of the condition of the equipment at the time of the test anyway, and that all my gear and I were protected by my RCD circuit breaker mains plug; they still refused to let me perform.

Luckily, my electrics man came around the next day and bought me up to date but, just a reminder............. if you are a gigging musician carrying a PA., make sure your paperwork is up to date or risk losing the gig!

Comments

• LesterLester Posts: 1,730Member, Moderator
    A useful reminder, or, in my case, an education as I have never heard of either being required.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,721Member
    Only ever had the requirement for PAT testing specified on one contract. We got all the gear done, drove to Cardiff, and after about four songs were asked to stop playing and go home. The gig had been sorted by an agent - the club thought they were getting a showband! There we were playing original folk / rock / blues / Cajun stuff and they wanted Right Said Fred covers. Could have saved on the PAT testing and the Severn Bridge toll.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 980Member
    Portable Applience testing is a requirement on all council owned property (town halls etc.) and is becomming more common on other venues. As onemanband says it is only valid at the moment of testing. Some sparks will now charge as little as £1.50 or £2.00 and item, but that includes all mains leads as well as the actual equipment. Public liability is also a wise thing to have if you are anything but a homeless person because your lifetimes accumulated wealth is at stake!
    The MU incorporates P.L Ins. in it's benefits as well as other help and assistance in times of need. If you are gigging regularly it might work out to your benefit.