Not Again !

Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member
edited February 2017 in Guitar Chat
Not again. NOT AGAIN !

I've just finished a week of nights and found myself wandering bleary eyed into Manson, as you do. I had a go on several Yamaha acoustics. They are very competent and sure footed guitars but how can I put this delicately ?

BORING ! (They make darn good classicals though)

Then I tried out several different versions of the Gibson J45 to confirm to myself what a good buy I'd got with the Sigma J45. I was satisfied with the result but the True Vintage J45 is a league above, as it ought to be at three and a half K.

Then I spied something in the corner... a Sigma version of the Gibson J200.

It plays and sounds nothing like a Gibson J200.

It plays and sounds ... just like a Gibson J45 True Vintage - at £475 with pickup ! This is a stunning guitar if - IF you can get over the moustache bridge and the huge size of the lower bout.

(I assure you. I do not work for Sigma.)

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
    There's always another guitar! Whether you work for them or not (and you really should :D ) you've persuaded me that if I ever wanted a new acoustic, Sigma would be a brand I'd have to look at - I do wonder what their version of a Martin D45 would be like, if they do one.

That Sigma J200-style must be a great thing, from what you say. Nothing wrong with the moustache bridge, and the perfect look for a bit of country if you ever fancy that kind of thing. Go on, treat yourself, you know you want to...
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member
    edited February 2017
    I'd get killed if I got another guitar, Megi. I had a go on one of their Sigma OOOs this morning and it was a sweet little thing. I was underwhelmed by the real Martin OOO15m I played in Project Music on the way there.

I don't think they've got worse, just that cheaper alternatives are now a lot better.

BTW - You may recall that I'd traded my Vintage V300, Epiphone DR 100 and Amalio Burguet M3.

The DR 100 had gone. And I'm not at all surprised. I was sorry to let that one go. If truth be known, if that were the only guitar they made in the world we should be very happy with it.
    I've still got my Burguet M3, but it has sat unplayed in it's Hiscox case far too much. I used to stagger my way through the odd bit of Bach and a few other classical things, and enjoyed doing that - I really must get that guitar out again, think I'll have a look this evening in fact. Hope it's still OK and the top hasn't warped or anything!

Hard to let a good guitar go I know, but sometimes it's for the best in the end. Someone was wise enough to recognize a fine guitar in that DR100, and you now have a new lease of life with the Sigma, so all is well.

The Sigma DR-45 would appear to be my Martin D-45 killer - £745, so I shouldn't really entertain such an idea! Judging by the Youtube demos, it does have that classic sound I'd be after, and abalone inlay including hexagon fingerboard markers all present and correct. I guess I'd also have to look at some others though - Faith for one, and perhaps I'd be better with something with a cutaway and good built in pickup system. But don't start me on acoustic guitar GAS - really can't afford it just at the mo!

Faith Jupiter looks a nice one... aaagh, acoustic GAS strikes, but I have to resist. :)
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,314Member
    Kevin - 'The cheaper alternatives are now better'. Dead right!

Huge size lower bout can work - I'm sure it makes for a lot of the character in the sound of my Vintage GG.

Graham - ... to use the oft said phrase ... "resistance is useless"! :smiley:
    edited February 2017
    "Hard to let a good guitar go I know, but sometimes it's for the best in the end. Someone was wise enough to recognize a fine guitar in that DR100, and you now have a new lease of life with the Sigma, so all is well."

You sound like someone consoling a person who called the vet out with his pistol.

Best to let an old friend go a day too early than a day too late, I say. :( *sobs*
    edited February 2017
    As regards the Martin 00015M not being as good as I recall it. Well I've been playing a lovely 00016 for several years so I think the memory of it is diminished. I restrung the '16 today and adjusted the saddle with a sliver of ebony and it's luurvly.
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
    The Sigma 000s are lovely to play. I wish I'd kept mine.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,721Member
    I've been hankering after a parlour guitar. I really liked the Vintage Paul Brett one I played a while back. The Sigma parlour version of Kevin's latest Sigma does look lovely. Then last week I played a Faith (Mercury?) and it was gorgeous. I doubt I'll buy one - would need to sell an existing guitar first and I can't see me doing that - but it's nice to dream.
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
    Derek, I had a Faith High Gloss parlour for a while and it was stunning. If I'd kept it long enough to really open up I doubt I'd ever have let it go.

I'm planning on grabbing one of the Harley Benton all hog parlours - 45mm nut and open headstock for £150!