Pushing in front at bars.

Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member
Is it just me ? It seems to happen alot.

I wait patiently to be served - even correcting the barman when he tries to serve me in front of someone who's been waiting.

Then comes the pushy person. Gets in front having seen you obviously waiting with a note.

I had it today. About three people got in front. I had to object.

"Excuse me. I was here before you."

"SMILE. The sun is shining outside !"

"Yes. And I'd like to be in it rather than here. You letting me be served first ?"

"No. I've got the barman."

I said to the barman "I was here first." He knew it.

I got served but it was like I was the one who'd sinned.

Do you ever get this ? Where are the manners ?

First world problems but is it just me ? Happens all the time.

Comments

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 799Member
    In striving for a classless society, successive governments have just provided us with a society with no class
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,314Member
    Just a minor sign of the continuing collapse of society and of the elevation of self-interest to be the guiding light in peoples lives - and don't we have leaderships that encourage this me-first idealism. Give it a few more years and let the current crass lack of manners from social media spill into real life and you'll need the patience of a saint, if not weapons, to try and queue for anything in an orderly manner.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 1,005Member
    Nope, it's not first world problems, it's manners and courtesy which should be a part of any civilisation.

In striving for a classless society, successive governments have just provided us with a society with no class

They prove a lousy example to follow too.
    Mark P said:

Just a minor sign of the continuing collapse of society and of the elevation of self-interest to be the guiding light in peoples lives - and don't we have leaderships that encourage this me-first idealism. Give it a few more years and let the current crass lack of manners from social media spill into real life and you'll need the patience of a saint, if not weapons, to try and queue for anything in an orderly manner.

LOL and yes, I agree. It's the MElennials and self entitlement.

The nearest roundabout to my house has a block of flats on the corner, and double yellows everywhere. The approaching road to the roundabout, which I have to make a sharp left turn on to go home, is a dual carriageway and takes a lot of traffic. So you fly up the dual carriageway, break, make a sharp left turn and RIGHT in front of you, in a road with two very narrow lanes, is often a car parked besides the flats.
    The other day, my wife and I drove around that corner, narrowly missing an oncoming SUV (don't get me started) that was pulling around a parked car. In a rather out-of-character moment, she wound down the window and said "You can't park there" which got a shouted reply of "I'M PICKING UP MY KID".
    Right. So collecting a young passenger warrants parking dangerously, getting in other people's way and nearly causing an accident.
    Self-entitlement.
    All he had to do was walk 30 feet.
    Oh well.
  • DaveBassDaveBass Posts: 3,328Member
    There are certain people who get served last -- and I'm one of them. I've known it since my student days. In order to get served first, you need to have a somewhat sociopathic personality (don't care what other people think; don't have much empathy), you need to have a strong sense of entitlement, and you need to be an extrovert so you can attract the server's attention. Basically you have to be everything I'm not.

But queueing at bars isn't really a vital skill in the larger scheme of things; other abilities are more important in life, which is why I've ended up Considerably Richer Than Them. This is a great consolation to me.
    DaveBass said:

There are certain people who get served last -- and I'm one of them. I've known it since my student days. In order to get served first, you need to have a somewhat sociopathic personality (don't care what other people think; don't have much empathy), you need to have a strong sense of entitlement, and you need to be an extrovert so you can attract the server's attention. Basically you have to be everything I'm not.

But queueing at bars isn't really a vital skill in the larger scheme of things; other abilities are more important in life, which is why I've ended up Considerably Richer Than Them. This is a great consolation to me.

Ha!
    I dunno, I think it's just case of being firm, standing your ground without being rude or indignant. Be gracious when needed, and you'll reap grace in return.
    I'm not served last, I'm not rude or pushy, but then I'm not richer than many either! Not financially anyhow.
  • onemanbandonemanband Posts: 94Member
    Good experienced bar staff will have spotted and made a mental note of who's next, even in busy bars, which is so satisfying when some moron tries to muscle in, but gets ignored!

Good experienced bar staff will have spotted and made a mental note of who's next, even in busy bars, which is so satisfying when some moron tries to muscle in, but gets ignored!

Haha yup! It's also quite pleasing to step in front of a pusher in at the last moment just when they think they're getting away with it. Mwahah! /smug/