Passing on the mantle

2»

Comments

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,070Member, Moderator
    Have not got any images of the blue at this stage but here is one of the purple, after about 5 coats of oil.
    Couple of shots of the blue back (two piece Swamp Ash). This is after 4 coats of Tru-oil.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,188Member
    Both front and back looking extremely good, and the Tru Oil does not seem to have influenced the shade too much. Great stuff, appreciate the pics Jocko.
    Having a bit of problems with the Tru-oil. previous builds we didn't have a cat. Now we have two!

Another issue I have had this morning is I decided to do a bit of rubbing back using 1200 grit and Tru-oil as a lubricant. And I managed to rub through the staining at a couple of places. Looks like a reliced finish, but I don't think that was what Liam had in mind!
    Body has been finished for a while but we have not been doing much to the guitar due to my wife and my mother-in-law being ill.
    I did send Liam off with the electrics to build, and with the aid of YouTube he did a good job. Not the finest of soldering but it will work and the joints were clean. I had looked it over when he brought it along but today we rung it out and it works great.
    We added the copper shielding to the cavities today, a first for both of us as I have previously used shielding paint.
    I also set up his 1979 Squier Korean Bullet for him. He was surprised how easy it was when you had the right tools.
    He is considering a genuine Fender neck now, so that is his next purchase. He had decided on pickups but is now rethinking his choice. We will see what he comes up with.
    Lovely cats! Bit of a faff doing the copper shielding I know, but I always enjoy that bit. I've always found it's false economy to go cheap on the neck, just speaking for myself. Do look forward to seeing the completed guitar anyhow, and the body looks fantastic. :)
    Mighty Mite neck arrived yesterday so we had a go at checking the fitting. At first it seemed too tight but eventually it slipped in beautifully (as the donkey said to the chorus girl).

• LesterLester Posts: 1,670Member, Moderator
    Ooh, now that is a different purple than the photos further up this page. Nice!

It looks a simple enough shape to be a classic design, and with easy reach all the way up to the 22nd fret.

Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. Nice one, Jocko.
    Looking good. Those Mighty Mite necks are quality I've found - truss rods works really well, nice wood, well put together.