A deer caught in way too many headlights!

Pete_BPete_B Posts: 562Member
A guitar, electric, multi pickups, single coil, humbuckers coil taps, piezo. Amps, modeling, valve/tube, effects, multi effects, more effects, pedals, go down the pedal rabbit hole, next a Variaxe, so many sounds I need the "Pilot's Handbook", where the hell am I going!!

Now, back to basics. Yamaha Pacifica 120H, Amp with a bit of reverb, Increase gain till a slight breakup, tape up the controls and use these newly discovered magic items. Those unused knobs on the guitar itself!

Feels liberating
There is no Mojo!

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 939Member
    I know what you mean Pete_B, the music is the most important thing. I always admire players like Snowy White who just used one guitar into the amp for a whole distinguised career. Earlier this week I did a gig and in the last set I strapped on my Tele and just had it on breakup into the amp. The tone alone was inspiring. Too many distractions and too much tap dancing sometimes.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,190Member
    It's all too true - the gear is a distraction most of the time. A good guitarist will get a good sound from most things, and all the boutique gear in the world won't rescue a bad one.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 939Member
    It makes me think back to the early days of recordings where the engineer wore a lab coat and spent ages placing the right mic(s) in the right position(s) to get the best sound and mix. There were no devices to confuse or distract anyone, you played the song and if the producer liked that take, it got sent to the lathe for cutting.
    There is so much of that early stuff that influences everything after, and we're still trying to capture that energy and vibe.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,174Member
    As long as they look happy and engage with the audience a guitarist could be playing through a toilet tube for all I care.

I can't stand self absorbed widdlers.