New guitar arrived today - Ibanez RGEW521FM-NTF

MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
Ridiculous name from Ibanez, but it's basically an RG model with hard tail bridge, two humbuckers and a flame maple top (albeit a veneer). Looks nice anyhow, and I like the baked maple neck - it's pretty slim, but not into bonkers slim territory like some I've seen. Macassar ebony fret board. Very good upper fret access. Overall the guitar as supplied needs a bit of work to make it really nice, but I can do that. The pickups are some nice Dimarzios - an Air Norton and a Tone Zone - I once tried a friends Musicman Axis guitar that had the same pickups and really liked the sounds it could make with a 5 way switch.

Comments

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member
    edited July 2020
    Good thing it wasn't underpants day !
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member

Good think it wasn't underpants day !

True - oh the horror! :D
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 1,005Member

Haha nicely (or somewhat worryingly) spotted!

Nice looking axe. I’ve never had any Dimarzios, but I’ve heard about the tone zone. How does it sound?
    So what drew you to this? Filling a hole in you collection or just in need of something cool? And why not?
    Congrats!
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member

Haha nicely (or somewhat worryingly) spotted!

Nice looking axe. I’ve never had any Dimarzios, but I’ve heard about the tone zone. How does it sound?
    So what drew you to this? Filling a hole in you collection or just in need of something cool? And why not?
    Congrats!
    Thank you! I would say the tone zone is on the warm, smooth side of neutral - if you were after a an 80s power ballad lead overdriven lead tone, it would be a very good place to start. It's actually not bad clean also, not just a characterless high-output thing, but on the mellow side, not one you'd choose for bright chime. The Air Norton in the neck is a bit lower output, but has similar qualities in a way. That said, I can select just the inner coils for both pickups, and that is much more of a stratty in-between kind of tone. Also the Air Norton with parallel coils is very useful, airier/lighter kind of sound.

What drew me? - I think the great upper fret access is one factor, and also I just liked the idea of having a pointy built-for-speed kind of guitar, but with the natural wood finish, I can get away using it for a range of gigs (if I ever do another gig...). In my opinion, it would make a great guitar for pop music - not just a metal shred machine by any means.