Fret buzz

CyrnCyrn Posts: 11Member
Got my new ( old) guitar and it sounds great except for fret buzz on one string (G string). This happens only from the 5th fret upwards. As a newbie I have no idea what to do - any suggestions?

Thanks a lot, folks.

Comments

• Just TelJust Tel Posts: 514Member
    It could be that it needs small adjustment of either the truss rod or maybe the bridge. Either way if you are new to guitars I would pop it into your local guitar repair man and ask his advice. Don't play around with the truss rod unless you know what you're doing.
    I guess others will be along soon to offer their suggestions.
  • LurcherLurcher Posts: 710Member
    Quick question: What guitar is it?
    Some electrics have individual string height adjustment at the bridge and it could be just that.

Brian
  • CyrnCyrn Posts: 11Member
     Originally Posted By: Lurcher
    Quick question: What guitar is it?
    Some electrics have individual string height adjustment at the bridge and it could be just that.

Brian

It is an acoustic guitar - Tanglewood TW13o asm. I think I'll enquire about a full setup as there may be other issues.
  • Just TelJust Tel Posts: 514Member
    A set up is always a wise choice in my opinion.
  • CyrnCyrn Posts: 11Member
    FIXED!!!

So I decided to do a bit of a DIY setup. I bought a bone nut and saddle ( the fitted saddle was a very roughly cut bit of plastic) and sanded the saddle down a bit, restrung and tuned; unstrung ( is that a word? ) and sanded a bit more and tried again. And again and again...

Eventually I got rid of the buzz (I changed the strings as well ) and now the guitar sounds great - louder, cleaner, brighter. Action is a bit high but I don't want to risk getting the buzz back by lowering the action too much. Not quite brave enough yet to fiddle with the truss rod...
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,704Member, Moderator
    Well done, Cyrn, that was not an easy one to diagnose and fix. It sounds like you are better off now with the bone nut than you would have been if the guitar did have the buzzing string and didn't force you to do something about it.
  • aspguitarsaspguitars Posts: 40Member
    Strings tend to buzz more when they get old. Sometimes a new set is all that's needed. I would still check the frets with a straight edge to see if you have any slightly proud frets. As mentioned by others in here, unless you really know what you are doing, I wouldn't recommend messing with the Truss Rod. You could end up ruining a good guitar.