What is the purpose of altered tunings?

[blue boy][blue boy] Posts: 383Member
This may sound like a silly question, but bear with me I'm relatively new and self taught What is the purpose of altered tunings? I thought the whole idea was to form different chord shapes in different places. However, last night I was trying a few songs from a Smashing Pumpkins songbook. They used a drop D tuning. However the chord diagrams (eg. for a basic G chord) were the same as I'd use for a standard tuning. So is the idea of them to form the same chords, but make them sound different? Surely though with a different tuning thats not a G?

Comments

• RhodesRhodes Posts: 1,584Member
    I think you have a point.

I'm not sure what Drop D tuning is exactly, but I am pretty sure that it means that the 6th string is tuned to D, rather than E. There might be other changes, too. So, if you fret a normal G shape, the note on the 6th string becomes F rather than G. The G major chord contains G, B and D.

Could the chord diagrams be there for people who are using standard tuning, but the Smashing Pumpkins themselves use power chords, for which downtuning the 6th string to D makes life rather easier?
  • Options
    Drop D is DADGBE; mostly used by people too lazy to play power chords properly, or folkies.

It sounds like, as Rhodes says, the chord boxes are for standard tuning.
  • [blue boy][blue boy] Posts: 383Member
    Apologies for the confusion it wasn't drop D tuning, but every string was tuned down 1/2 a step. The chord diagrams matched what was written on the tab which was the confusing thing, and playing them as they were written sounded right.
    and I had tuned down every string half a step.
    In which case, when you are fretting a G shape, you are, in fact, playing a G flat or F#. Similarly, if you play things with a capo, the chord boxes or chord names shown will often be as if you were playing in normal tuning, but you are in fact playing something different.

Er, does that make sense?

[Note to self: concision is the way to go]
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Rhodes:
    In which case, when you are fretting a G shape, you are, in fact, playing a G flat or F#. Similarly, if you play things with a capo, the chord boxes or chord names shown will often be as if you were playing in normal tuning, but you are in fact playing something different.

Er, does that make sense?

[Note to self: concision is the way to go]

Yeah that does make sense but thats what confuses me cos it said the chord was a G and it was the normal G shape, yet was being played with all strings tuned down a step. Maybe it was just a mis-print in the book cos I know that happens quite a bit.
    It might not be a misprint as such - the chord boxes or chord names probably simply indicate the shape you need to fret to get the right notes. Sometimes tabs and so on will have the chord shape you have to fret above the stave and the real chord you're playing underneath it.
    Yeah thats true never thought of that.
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Rhodes:
    It might not be a misprint as such - the chord boxes or chord names probably simply indicate the shape you need to fret to get the right notes. Sometimes tabs and so on will have the chord shape you have to fret above the stave and the real chord you're playing underneath it.

Yeah, tabs always tend to show the chord name that relates to the shape fretted. Even with capos, and altered tunings.
  • Options
    the reason for them all tuning down half a step is to change the key signiture! (or the key of the peice)

I'm not that familiar with smaching pumpkins music but if it's got any instruments apart from guitars, piano, horns, strings etc. it's probalbly been transposed (key been changed) To make the accompanying parts easier to play!

Which song Is it and I'll download it and have a look!

Billy
  • Options
    Maybe they just prefered to down tune a semitone. The normal chord names must be so that you can recognice the chord shapes quickly, makes sense to me.
     Quote:
    Originally posted by my name is maybe billy:
    the reason for them all tuning down half a step is to change the key signiture! (or the key of the peice)

I'm not that familiar with smaching pumpkins music but if it's got any instruments apart from guitars, piano, horns, strings etc. it's probalbly been transposed (key been changed) To make the accompanying parts easier to play!

Which song Is it and I'll download it and have a look!

Billy

Yes they do tend to have a lot of other instruments on their songs, especially orchestral ones. As for the song it was for them all. It was a tab book of the album "Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness".
  • Andy VarneyAndy Varney Posts: 882Member
    I think a lot of rock bands play with the guitar tuned a semitone down mainly to make it easier for the singer, I know some SRV and GnR songs are like this for that reason.

I have also heard of people who are playing with professional singers having their guitars set up to allow them to play in the open position in the key the singer can sing in, as (I think) people only have a certain vocal range and can only sing a limited number of keys whereas the guitar can play in any key.

Any one play in open G or E? I have tele in open G with no 6th string a la Keef (sad I know, but it's my age!) and it is a lot fun for R&B (old type) and blues, particulary if I have had a drink!

Cheers,
    Andy.
    I'm scared of anything but standard tuning. But then I only have one useable guitar - the Cort.

I suppose I could play around with my Yamaha acoustic, but the tone is truly horrible. Painful, almost.