I'm tempted to try one of these

martinsmith99martinsmith99 Posts: 388Member
edited August 2016 in Guitar Chat
As the title says

I'm intrigued by these and very tempted to try one of these; at least I was until I was given a very tempting offer on a Telecaster.  I'm still dithering between the 2, but after watching a few YouTube vids featuring Hollowbelly & also Mike Snowden the appeal of the very different & simplistic box seems to bee pulling me in.

Comments

• BryBry Posts: 652Member

Go on, do it.... everyone has a Tele. 

• martinsmith99martinsmith99 Posts: 388Member
    Originally Posted by Bry:

Go on, do it.... everyone has a Tele. 

And this is a good enough reason for me not to get one :-)  

I'm looking out for a good box to put a neck on, would be nice if I could fit a mini amp in there too.

• Shane McCleanShane McClean Posts: 18Member
    I quite recently wanted one of these but didn't like the box aspect, wanted a traditional guitar body in smaller scale, so i looked at alot of steel string ukuleles (no really, loads). Eventually my interest in these morphed to the point where now i own a mandocaster
    Originally Posted by Shane McClean:
    I quite recently wanted one of these but didn't like the box aspect, wanted a traditional guitar body in smaller scale, so i looked at alot of steel string ukuleles (no really, loads). Eventually my interest in these morphed to the point where now i own a mandocaster

Sounds like an excuse to post these cigar boxes again....

$T2eC16h,!w0E9szN,-IwBRe3jrB5Kw~~60_57

$T2eC16JHJGwE9n)ySeJDBQt8Znq8RQ~~60_57

A Mandocaster has long been on my Lottery win shopping list but having already tried to learn mandolin and not getting far I sold it. That failure was partly down to having too little patience to learn another set of chord shapes as I was learning ukulele at the time. I can still manage a couple of Pogues tunes and a bit of Losing My Religion which I think everyone learns when they start mandolin, but not much else.

I would like to try an octave mandolin though now that I've forgotten most of what I learned on uke... or maybe a tenor guitar, maybe both as I think they may be tuned to the same intervals. Could be wrong there but I suspect it's at least possible.

• Shane McCleanShane McClean Posts: 18Member
    Martinsmith99; have a look at a bouzouki. It's a bit like a cross cigar box/mandolin with standard guitar tuning and slightly bigger scale, there are also a few solid body variants.
    Bry; nice, by mentioning mandocaster i don't mean the fender type, its a revelation copy of the Eastwood model, its a mini telecaster body

I had to look it up but the Eastwood type is much more the sort of thing I was thinking of, dont like the look of the Fender very much.

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Plenty of Cigar Box kit builds around.  A great way to build up construction and set up knowledge that will save you tons of money by doing your own guitar maintenance in the future.  Get a cigar box kit and a tele (or even a tele kit).

Cheers, Reg.

• martinsmith99martinsmith99 Posts: 388Member

The Tele is a rather nice Tokai that a colleague is selling; he only wants 200 for it.

If I get it I think I need to sell one of my other guitars, let alone adding a cigar box guitar too. B-) 

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 799Member

Did anyone ever see the guitars that were doing the rounds a number of years back which had an old-style metal oil can as the body?  They were called "Township" guitars or something like that?