Difference between 'normal' trem and flloyd rose?

RichieRichie Posts: 31Member
Forgive my lack of technical knowhow but I have a question regarding tremelos. I am currently saving my hard earned cash for a Fat Strat and would like to know a) what the difference (apart from price) is between the 'normal' trem and the flloyd rose? Does the flloyd keep its tuning better?

Also whilst on the subject of strats anyone know where I can get to see the correct 'official' colours (does'nt seem to be anywhere even on Fender's web site.

Thanks for any help which may be on it's way.

Comments

• Options
    The difference? Well... Each has it's + AND -. Let's start with the floyd...

Yes, the floyd keeps it's tuning better. A well set up, quality floyd will divebomb and do whatever you want without detuning. I'm not sure about the quality af Fender one's though; for the price, I'm a bit skeptical about it's tuning stability...

Normal tremolos will do minor waggles and vibrato techniques without detuning. However, they do detune when divebombed, and they are harder to bend (i.e. put up more resistive force).
    HOWEVER, floyds can kill sustain on a guitar compared to a normal tremolo. They are also more difficult to setup, change strings on etc. due to loking nuts on the neck, and having to cut the "balls" of strings. For changing tunings they can be a pain as well, but I've never tried retuning a normal tremolo, so I can't comment on this comparatively.

Interestingly, another characteristic of floyds is that they increase the treble response and decrease the bassiness of a guitar, due to the strings vibrating through a floating piece of metal, more so than a normal tremolo.

The verdict? Well, unless you're planning to divebomb and make motorbike noises on a guitar, I'd go for a traditional tremolo, it'll sound better and be easier to cope with.
  • Options
    and Floyds look cool ;\) really cool

Peace
    Requiem
  • Options
    Floydds (sp) are damn expersive!
  • Options
    Seriously: dont buy a Floyd. Unless your Steve Vai & have an army of techs who dont mind setting up your guitar for you. Because you wont want to do it. I never use my floyd going up, only down. And a normal strat can do that. Always wondered why you cant buy a normal strat with a locking nut- seems a sensible modification...
  • Options
    I gotta admit i hate floyds.

they look fookin ugly....and re-stringin them is such a nigthmare!

You gotta cut the balls off (oo-er missus!)the strings...or pull them out...either way is fookin hard unless you have wire cutters or something.

you gotta unlock all the locked bits...i remeber forgetting to unlock the nut on the top e string and tuning it wondering why it wouldnt change....then *snap* can be quite annoying!

but they are great for tuning stability...but for us veterans thats nothing to worry about. \:D
  • Options
    you can get strats with floyds and locking nuts. i think they are better as divebombs and pullups are easy and they dont go out of tune where as in fender ones when you divebomb the ball ends can move about in the bridge and the tuning will be different when you let go

David
  • Options
    If it's sustain you're after, why not get a fixed bridge strat? (Now there's something you don't see very often).
    If it's divebombs you want get the FR thingy. For a somewhere in between, the normal trem.
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Toxicated:
    I gotta admit i hate floyds.

they look fookin ugly....and re-stringin them is such a nigthmare!

\:D

They are far from fugly my freind they are sexy....... having said that my next guitar will be the first I have ever had that does not ahve a Floyd on it... mmm thnk if the sustaina dn tonemmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Fender vintage trem *drool*

Peace and Drool
    Requiem