Strewwth!

Andy VarneyAndy Varney Posts: 882Member
edited April 2017 in Totally Not Guitars
Strewwth! The singer of the UKs' first totally manufactured and branded boy band (that should get get you all going!) is going into the jungle.

Discuss:

Andy. :p

Comments

  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Andy Varney:
    Strewwth! The singer of the UKs' first totally manufactured and branded boy band (that should get get you all going!) is going into the jungle.

    Discuss:

    Andy. :p


    They should leave him there, he's a total arse.

    Andy
  • Options
    oh dear his carrer has gone down that much he is going in for that :rolleyes:
  • pakamakpakamak Posts: 153Member
    lydon will just say that its all part of the punk swindle -he's just doing it for the money

    as for the manufactured bit - spot on. wanna hear some english punk? buy some old damned records

    lydon V mike reid should be fun to watch though \:D
  • Options
    I wonder how that will affect his public image? Limited appeal if you ask me. \:\)
  • RhodesRhodes Posts: 1,584Member
    No clever puns from me, but I think that pakamak is right. AFter all, "the only notes that really count are the ones that come in wads".
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by pakamak:

    wanna hear some english punk? buy some old damned records


    Wanna hear some punk? Then get your ears tested, punk sucks :p . Sex Pistols indeed.
  • RhodesRhodes Posts: 1,584Member
    We wouldn't expect an Ibanez boy to understand. ;\)
  • Andy VarneyAndy Varney Posts: 882Member
    So who on here actually remembers the Pistols?

    I do and still have my copy of NMTB.

    Andy.
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Rhodes:
    We wouldn't expect an Ibanez boy to understand. ;\)


    What's that suppose to mean \:D .

    Maybe it is just easier for me to be objective about punk as I wasn't born when that whole movement took off \:D .

    I take it on its merits (of which it has almost none), not on the good times (or girls) I had while listening to it ;\) .
  • Paladin2019Paladin2019 Posts: 1,607Member
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Andy Varney:
    So who on here actually remembers the Pistols?

    I do and still have my copy of NMTB.

    Andy.


    Too young, but I do own NMTB and a bunch of Clash records
  • RhodesRhodes Posts: 1,584Member
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Martel:


    What's that suppose to mean \:D .

    Maybe it is just easier for me to be objective about punk as I wasn't born when that whole movement took off \:D .

    I take it on its merits (of which it has almost none), not on the good times (or girls) I had while listening to it ;\) .


    Well, Ibanez boys are obviously all widdlers and therefore unable to appreciate the more, erm, direct approach of punk. Yes, that'd be it. ;\)
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Rhodes:


    Well, Ibanez boys are obviously all widdlers and therefore unable to appreciate the more, erm, direct approach of punk. Yes, that'd be it. ;\)


    Doesn't the guitarist form Pennywise use an Ibanez?

    (They're a So Cal punk band)

    Andy!
  • RhodesRhodes Posts: 1,584Member
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Andy Varney:
    So who on here actually remembers the Pistols?

    I do and still have my copy of NMTB.

    Andy.


    I only have it on CD, I think. But I remember my sister trying to hide the cover of the real record from my father by hiding it behind a curtain...and then my mother coming home., seeing the record and fearing that the police would pay them a visit for displaying something so obscene. \:\)

    [ 20 January 2004: Message edited by: Rhodes ]
  • RhodesRhodes Posts: 1,584Member
     Quote:
    Originally posted by mupps:


    Doesn't the guitarist form Pennywise use an Ibanez?

    (They're a So Cal punk band)

    Andy!


    Drat. The only way I can get this to work is to deny that Pennywise are punks at all. The name sounds like the label on cheap pink wafer biscuits.
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Rhodes:


    Well, Ibanez boys are obviously all widdlers and therefore unable to appreciate the more, erm, direct approach of punk. Yes, that'd be it. ;\)



    I ain't no widdler \:D , not into that whole fret tapping solo stuff ala Steve "I can play 100 notes per second" Vai. I like rhythm stuff, but not at the expense of distinguishable notes. A power chord (or single string) strummed to a beat doesn't really cut it for me.

    [ 20 January 2004: Message edited by: Martel ]
  • RhodesRhodes Posts: 1,584Member
    They didn't have power chords in my day.
  • [blue boy][blue boy] Posts: 383Member
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Andy Varney:
    Strewwth! The singer of the UKs' first totally manufactured and branded boy band (that should get get you all going!) is going into the jungle.

    Discuss:

    Andy. :p


    I couldn't agree with you more mate. I hate it when people try to argue that they weren't manufactured, or claim they were but that was the whole plan. Busted probably have more musical knowledge than they did!
  • RhodesRhodes Posts: 1,584Member
    But they made good music and made a few bob out of it...
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Martel:


    Wanna hear some punk? Then get your ears tested, punk sucks :p . Sex Pistols indeed.


    STFU!!!!

    The Sex Pistols are punk legends and should be given a little respect. I'm 17 and The Sex Pistols are one of my Fave bands even though they're long forgotten by many.

    I wouldn't call them 'manufactured' either true they were put together by Malcolm Mclaren but the majority of the band were already freinds and were already trying to get a band going before that. They stood for a lot of the injustices in the UK most of which have simply being ignored by these drab metal bands that sing about f**k all that is important.

    I was surprised when I heard he was going on to tell you the truth, but I think hes going on there so he can call them all c**ts on live TV.

    Rant over.
  • Options
    Perhaps nostalgia ain't what it used to be....BUT....in my humble opinion, MalcolmMcLarenManufactured or not, the Sex Pistols were an iconic band if you want to get pretentious AND a bloody good rock sound to stick two fingers up to a previous generation of bland TOTP Euro-Pop or hairy-arsed navel-gazing prog-rock{someone mention radiohead there ;\) }

    Yep I lived through it during the shift from Yes/Genesis etc to the joyful shambles that punk/new-wave created. OK I accept that often your most treasured memories of gigs are usually the first ones in your teens - Bowie at the Liverpool Empire during his Ziggy phase is one of the reasons why I HAD to learn the guitar. But PUNK etc represented OUR music in the 70s not that of a previous generation.

    Now of course old farts like me find it difficult to take, say, RAP music [thug-lite...music forgetting the C and so on]. But that genre represented a younger generation's response to our outdated form of rocknroll.

    It happens in most music cycles. Fisher King style.


    The most disappointing thing over the last 5-10 years is that I just haven't heard anything from any group of any style that ?metaphorically? shoves two fingers up your nose, twists your head around while possibly, just maybe, forces you to HEAR and see that lives can be changed by music.

    Sad final point before you all start flaming my old codger views - my kids have gone through Offspring/Eminem/RATM/NWA/FooFighters/RHChillisetc and still they nag me to digitize my old LP collection.Their Number 1 on the want List?? You've guessed it - a **** yellow /puke pink searing slice of volitile vinyl called Never Mind the ********.

    Sorry to bore.
    Mark
  • Options
    I'm to young to remember the Sex Pistols but i do respect them. Even if they had no musical knowledge they were one of first to kick start everything.

    At least i think they were.
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Stubby:


    STFU!!!!

    The Sex Pistols are punk legends and should be given a little respect. I'm 17 and The Sex Pistols are one of my Fave bands even though they're long forgotten by many.

    I wouldn't call them 'manufactured' either true they were put together by Malcolm Mclaren but the majority of the band were already freinds and were already trying to get a band going before that. They stood for a lot of the injustices in the UK most of which have simply being ignored by these drab metal bands that sing about f**k all that is important.

    I was surprised when I heard he was going on to tell you the truth, but I think hes going on there so he can call them all c**ts on live TV.

    Rant over.



    1) Their music is crude.

    2) What did they stand up for exactly? There lyrics made no sense, they went on about being anarchists (anarchy = confusion with no purpose or goal, not a good thing) and about the Queen and the fascist regime yet the reigning monarch hasn't been the holder of centralised power in England in a hundred years (and even then most things were decided by a parliament). They were just spurting out buzz words, saying things that made people listen. Besides, you wanna create change in the world, you don't become a musician, you wanna make music, you don't become a politician.

    3) My bet is that "Johnny Rotten" is going on TV because he can't stand that he/they are not in the limelight anymore. They want to be the centre of attention, same reason they decided to swear at Bill Grundy on national TV, not because he "oppressed" them or because he was a "fascist", just cause they wanted to look big and important.

    Edit:Typo

    [ 20 January 2004: Message edited by: Martel ]
  • Options
    The man is a fool.

    His band made rubbish music.

    His band were talentless.

    Punk, generally speaking, sucks. And they share a large part in the responsbility of bringing us the cancer that it is.
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Swiss Tony:
    The man is a fool.

    His band made rubbish music.

    His band were talentless.

    Punk, generally speaking, sucks. And they share a large part in the responsbility of bringing us the cancer that it is.


    Cancer is perhaps a bit strong, but otherwise my sentiments exactly.
  • Options
    "the cancer that it is"

    Hey Swiss Tony don't hold back now - tell us straight \:D

    Bet you REALLY hate marmite :p
  • [blue boy][blue boy] Posts: 383Member
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Mark Ormiston:
    Perhaps nostalgia ain't what it used to be....BUT....in my humble opinion, MalcolmMcLarenManufactured or not, the Sex Pistols were an iconic band if you want to get pretentious AND a bloody good rock sound to stick two fingers up to a previous generation of bland TOTP Euro-Pop or hairy-arsed navel-gazing prog-rock{someone mention radiohead there ;\) }


    Radiohead have written the most intelligent, thought provoking songs for a generation IMHO. Have you listened to some of their recent stuff? If you have you will see they are far from prog rock. No other band around at the minute has the balls to say what they do in some of their lyrics. If they weren't such a big name who sell millions of records I doubt half of their stuff would be allowed release by their record company.

     Quote:
    OK I accept that often your most treasured memories of gigs are usually the first ones in your teens - Bowie at the Liverpool Empire during his Ziggy phase is one of the reasons why I HAD to learn the guitar.


    Oh how I envy you. I'd love to have seen Bowie in his prime!!!

     Quote:
    The most disappointing thing over the last 5-10 years is that I just haven't heard anything from any group of any style that ?metaphorically? shoves two fingers up your nose, twists your head around while possibly, just maybe, forces you to HEAR and see that lives can be changed by music.


    It is out there if you look hard enough. There are lots of bands at the moment creating new, innovative music. Sadly though the media seems to be more interested in the same rehashed tripe. How many boybands do we really need? And didn't hair metal happen 15 years ago? Sadly as it was predicted all those years ago, video did indeed kill the radio star and its all about image now over the quality of music. Thats not to say that the good quality music isn't out there though.
  • Options
    Hey BlueBoy - just for you I'll give RadioHead (yet) another chance. Certain songs on The Bends I can cope with because of the guitar work; but I gave up after OK Computer.

    I like the picture on your profile - don't know how you nicked their PA monitors ;\)

    Is that a ferrari-red Digitech Whammy I see in his gear? My opinion of them has just risen .... slightly!

    And yes Mr Aladdin Sane was as good as history will tell you. Ronson's screaming Les Paul was mind-bending on The Width of a Circle. They also did an early prototype of what we eventually learnt was Cracked Actor. An epithany for me and my guitar
  • [blue boy][blue boy] Posts: 383Member
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Mark Ormiston:
    Hey BlueBoy - just for you I'll give RadioHead (yet) another chance. Certain songs on The Bends I can cope with because of the guitar work; but I gave up after OK Computer.

    I like the picture on your profile - don't know how you nicked their PA monitors ;\)

    Is that a ferrari-red Digitech Whammy I see in his gear? My opinion of them has just risen .... slightly!

    And yes Mr Aladdin Sane was as good as history will tell you. Ronson's screaming Les Paul was mind-bending on The Width of a Circle. They also did an early prototype of what we eventually learnt was Cracked Actor. An epithany for me and my guitar


    Well to be honest if you are looking for guitar based songs then they won't be for you. The majority of the new stuff is almost entirely electronic. Only on the last album did they dust off the guitars again, and even then its mixed with just about everything else. But if you are prepared to forget guitars and look for songs with meaning then they are the best around at the moment for me anyway. Try downloading some of the live performances because they tend to play almost every song guitar based live, even the electronic ones.

    Mr Greenwood does indeed use a Digitech Whammy so I can only assume thats the pedal in the pic \:\)

    I did consider going to see Bowie when he toured last year. But the ticket prices were really high and I assumed the setlists were going to be mostly off the new album that he had just released. So I didn't bother. But yes I would have loved to have seen him in the Ziggy days
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Paladin2019:


    Too young, but I do own NMTB and a bunch of Clash records


    Aye, me too - much prefer The Clash though. As for the Ibanez thing.....Dexter from Pennywise uses an Ibanez guitar, and Noodles from The Offspring uses an Ibanez Talman usually I think. Brad Nowell from Sublime used to use an Ibanez guitar until he took a smack overdose....that's the extent of my punk/Ibanez usage knowledge

    Andy
  • Options
    I've got nothing against Punk per se. The Clash, for example are superb, but the Sex Pistols' music was crude, the vocals involved shouting which always annoys me, and the "rebellious, 2 fingers-up" lyrics were bloody awful. If a man came up to me and said: write a song denouncing the very existence of the monarchy and use lots of swearing, I could pull better lyrics out of my a**e. If you want lyrics about the state of Britain in the 70s and 80s listen to London Calling or Ghost Town by The Specials.

    The punk movement was more of its time than any other genre before or since. Look what passes for punk these days!

    And I prefer a bit of garage rock myself, like punk only cheerful and with no personal and social changes included in the price.
Sign In or Register to comment.