Can I make a request?

LooseMooseLooseMoose Posts: 1,716Member
edited April 2017 in Totally Not Guitars
Right, with my moderator hat firmly OFF and my member of the human rat hat ON, can I make a request?

I've seen a worrying amount of 'text speak' appearing round these parts.

I cannot BEGIN to tell you how much it winds me up - for some reason, it REALLY bugs me.

So come on, u cn type properly so jst fcking mke the effrt!

End of Moose Rant.

Cheers,
James

Comments

• Options
    sry m8, dnt mean 2 wind u up...
  • RhodesRhodes Posts: 1,584Member
    Hear, hear! It probably winds me up even more than it does Mr Moose. And it really can't even be quicker to type than English, can it?
  • Options
    yeah, its pretty stupid.
  • Options
    to be perfectly honest i havent actuly noticed it!!! probably because im so used to seeing it!!!
  • ZombieSheepZombieSheep Posts: 220Member
    I agree, James. I was going to say something, but haven't had the time.
  • pakamakpakamak Posts: 153Member
    embrace the future

soon there will be no vowels!!
  • Paladin2019Paladin2019 Posts: 1,607Member
     Quote:
    Originally posted by pakamak:
    embrace the future

soon there will be no vowels!!

Dble Pls Gd!
  • Options
    sorry. i kno i do it a lot. but i touch type and that is seriously jus wat comes naturally. dont have to think about it. would take me all day to type every single thing out in full. but jus for you mr. moose i will give it a try. on the other hand stuff like IMO and TBH do my head in but that dont stop ppl using em. have to go do some coursework now. C U L8R ;\)

nat -x- \:\)

[ 19 February 2004: Message edited by: AxeWieldingCuddler ]
  • Options
    I'll add my vote to a 'pls stp 1t' movement. If, at the same time, people would like to make the extra effort with grammar and spelling, that would be swell too \:\)
  • Options
    i very rarely use caps, not because i dont know how to word a sentance properly, but because its quicker. i dont think i quite fit in the 'txt tlk' catergory tho \:D
  • Options
    Yay for English. I say we try to keep it to full words on the most part.

No one has a problem with any of the following, right?

LOL
    OMG
    ROFL
    ROFLMAO
    OMGWTFLOL
    !!!111
    PONED

Hope not. \:D
  • Options
    all the little abbrevations like IMHO and suck are fine, they are more internet speak than txt anyway ;\)

stuff like 'c u l8r' is just bugging though, why cant you take the extra millisecond to add in a vowel or two? so i agree, down with the txt spkrs

as for grammar and general spelling mistakes, i know i do that a lot, mainly cause im not very good at english in the first place, and tend to bugger up typing when i type fastish (ie all the time) so for that i give my apologys and i shall try my best to type properly.

David
  • Options
    I hate this too \:\)
  • GuitarwolfGuitarwolf Posts: 1,987Member
    I only speak My own Wolf speak cos some keys on the POS keyboard stick lol.

Although I get pulled up for using the , instead of ' ..just an ikkle habit of mine.It relaly incensed one guy on a forum I used to post on :p

Wolf; )
  • Options
     Quote:
    as for grammar and general spelling mistakes, i know i do that a lot

And as if that testimony wasn't enough:

Quote:
    apologys

Never mind David!

Can't stand all this text nonsense. I make a point of spelling all my texts correctly and punctuating them accurately. The sooner we get rid of it the better. Well done Moose for having the guts to come out and say it (made easier by being a mod and stuff).
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Shortman:

Never mind David!

Can't stand all this text nonsense. I make a point of spelling all my texts correctly and punctuating them accurately. The sooner we get rid of it the better. Well done Moose for having the guts to come out and say it (made easier by being a mod and stuff).

Me too, I always type emails and posts here properly.....and my text messages are just the same. I once tried to type a sentence in that horrible text speak and it took me less time to type the same thing properly! Then again, I can type pretty fast, but still :p I vote for the demise of it too, its hard to read and looks messy in my opinion. \:\)

Andy
  • Options
    I do hate text speak, but do you have nothing else to care about?

Go care about dying baby seals and stuff... :rolleyes:
  • Options
     Quote:
    all the little abbrevations like IMHO are fine........stuff like 'c u l8r' is just bugging though

You may thing so. i disagree. i find the abbreviations far more annoying than txt speak. so when ppl stop using abrv. ill type every word properly. and ppl only use txt speak in txts to save money.
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by StickMan:
    I'll add my vote to a 'pls stp 1t' movement. If, at the same time, people would like to make the extra effort with grammar and spelling, that would be swell too \:\)

Can I add that I'd like to see an improvement in punctuation (no full stop at the end of your post Stick ;)) and the usage of capital letters(I'm looking at you AWC ;)).
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by Shortman:

Never mind David!

dammit, though i had that spelled right, looks right to me...

as for texting people, i use the predictive text, so all my words are proper ones, except when i cant remember how to spell something, then i have to type in my version of it the old fashioned way.

Davud
  • Options
    i have worked out a cunning excuse for my lack of english skills.

the fact im Scottish not english \:D

David
  • Options
     Quote:
    Originally posted by The Enema:
    i have worked out a cunning excuse for my lack of english skills.

the fact im Scottish not english \:D

David

Well i have lived in both scotland and england so i am bout to get confused at times ;\) \:D
  • tgfmtgfm Posts: 865Member
    i agree with getting rid of this stupid text speak, it is really annoying, and not to mention it looks really immature and townieish (if you catch my drift)

but as for the grammer thing, i find it much more laid back not to use capitals in my writings \:D so nerrr :p \:D

so yea \:D

tim \:D
  • wisfasmisfawisfasmisfa Posts: 118Member
     Quote:
    Originally posted by AxeWieldingCuddler:

.... and ppl only use txt speak in txts to save money.

Text messages are normally charged per message so no money saving there. ;\)

I thought text speak was to save tedious time consuming typing on the rather awkward mobile phone keypads. It makes sense in this context (especially with one without predictive text facility, like mine!)

No need for it using a proper keyboard, even for the most elemantal 2 finger typist.

Tends to be a clique thing as well I think.
  • RhodesRhodes Posts: 1,584Member
     Quote:
    Originally posted by tgfm:
    but as for the grammer thing, i find it much more laid back not to use capitals in my writings \:D so nerrr :p \:D

Could you please spell it 'grammar' in future...? ;\) :p
  • Options
     Quote:
    Text messages are normally charged per message so no money saving there.

exactly. the more letters u leave out of words the more words u can fit in one message...AKA u can fit into 1 message wat would normally take 2 if u wrote everythingout in full therefore u save 10p(or 12 as the case may be.) so NER :p

[ 20 February 2004: Message edited by: AxeWieldingCuddler ]
  • Options
    I can sort of understand the need for it to be used with mobile phones but for things like this forum and others it isn't needed. It just becomes a habit.

I don't pretend to have perfect spelling or grammar but I try my best and hope that people can read what I write which is definately not the case with text language. Well i can't read it at least :rolleyes:

I try to not let is bother me anymore because there are usually bigger things to worry about but I agree it is rather annoying.
  • Options
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by tgfm:
    but as for the grammer thing, i find it much more laid back not to use capitals in my writings so nerrr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

agreed. down with caps! \:D :p

[ 20 February 2004: Message edited by: The Flyin Squirrel ]
  • DaveBassDaveBass Posts: 3,328Member
    Live and let live. If people want to use txt msg abbreviations, I'm less likely to read their posts and take them seriously.

I'll continue my attempts to use good English here, in the (possibly vain) hope that some of it will rub off on the younger generations!

Dave "Role Model" Bass
  • Options
    I agree this text speak is the only thing keeping the human race from evolving!!

Will