Your latest purchase

Richard - Richards GuitarsRichard - Richards Guitars Posts: 679Member
edited March 2017 in Community Feedback
I thought this would be really interesting?

If you could state:

1. What Brand
2. Model
3. Rough date you bought it
4. New or used would be interesting!?

5. Additional views on whether you are happy with the guitar and whether it lived up to your neeeds and expectations would be great!

6. AND.... a picture would be GREAT!

Don't worry if you cannot manage all 6 - whetever detail you can offer would be interesting all the same.

Hope you like the idea and the more of you who join the more relevant it becomes.

If we leave this running and whenever one of us buys a new guitar we can put it here for a constant overview of trends and the kinds of guitars that we are into.

Comments

• elkayelkay Posts: 239Member
    Great idea. I'll start this off with my latest purchase, which was:-

1. Gibson
    2. ES-175 (2005)
    3. 19/04/2012
    4. Used
    5. The guitar is somewhat heavier than I expected, and has a chunkier neck than I would have liked. Nevertheless, it sounds amazing and plays beautifully. Responds well to finger picking. Purchased for a very good price, so well satisfied with it.

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
    elkay's 175 is gorgeous, a nice way to start. My last guitar purchase (not counting a strat which I built from parts) was a Korean made, vaguely PRS-ish shaped semi-solid:

1. Shine
    2. SIL-510
    3. Autumn 2011
    4. New (although not a current model, I think an end-of-line deal - as far as I can tell the guitar may have been made roughly around 2005)
    5. I've had it long enough to have got over the initial new guitar buzz, and I absolutely love it to bits - very smooth, warm and even sounding, with excellent sustain. That said, the stock pickups were a bit on the agressive side for me and needed changing (for my taste), plus it was much improved with a fret level and dress, also work to improve the electronics. If I was not able to do this stuff myself, it would have added considerably to the cost. I got it off the internet for a very good price - I took a risk, which has paid off in this case, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend this way of buying a guitar normally. I have the guitar strung with fairly heavy gauge half-round strings, and it makes a very nice guitar for playing jazz (and a nice alternative to a jazz archtop type guitar, although I'm lucky enough to have a good one of these as well).

With the original pickups:

After new pickups and setup work:

All in all, I think a very nice example of what the Koreans can do re guitar making, not that everything they make is lovely in my experience, but this is definitely a good one.
  • money4nothingmoney4nothing Posts: 169Member
    heres my most recent addition to the family ;\)

1. Dean
    2. Dime Blackbolt
    3. got it about a year ago
    4. used
    5. found it in a cash convertors for £150, dead happy with it (keep in mind im a student, which means i am poor :P ), though the neck is a little chunky. great sustain, and does well at anything from jazz to metal...

btw, Megi, that shine is amazing! thats a real gem u got there

http://s1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj597/chris4325/?action=view&current=myguitars005.jpg[/img]
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
     Originally Posted By: money4nothing
    heres my most recent addition to the family ;\)

1. Dean
    2. Dime Blackbolt
    3. got it about a year ago
    4. used
    5. found it in a cash convertors for £150, dead happy with it (keep in mind im a student, which means i am poor :P ), though the neck is a little chunky. great sustain, and does well at anything from jazz to metal...

btw, Megi, that shine is amazing! thats a real gem u got there

http://s1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj597/chris4325/?action=view&current=myguitars005.jpg[/img]
    I don't doubt what you say about your Dean m4n, but I'm just trying to imagine the response I would get if I turned up to a jazz gig with that guitar lol! Good buy you got there though. \:\)
    [/quote]I don't doubt what you say about your Dean m4n, but I'm just trying to imagine the response I would get if I turned up to a jazz gig with that guitar lol! Good buy you got there though. \:\) [/quote]

haha, dont worry, this one stays nesstled safely at home (mainly coz i havent got a case that itll fit in lol). nah my les paul is my jazz weapon of choice \:\)
    and just realised i havent got the hang of this quoting thing yet...
  • Loli832Loli832 Posts: 181Member
    1. Epiphone
    2. Les paul special II
    3. 12/04/2012 ( But it didn't arrive until the monday \:\( )
    4. New
    5. Very! Its my first guitar amd it has inspired me to perform in front of 30+ people this wednesday! It has a great bridge and pickups for the price and the only thing i might have bought instead of it was one of Richards RVS strat customs! Unfortunatly i hadn't heard of thwm at that point and i felt it was the best guitar for the money, it was! I'll try and edit some photo's in later.
  • duckofdeathduckofdeath Posts: 255Member
    1. PRS
    2. Starla X
    3. December 2010
    4. New
    5. Really like it. I went guitar shopping with a pocketful of cash and no particular guitar in mind- just knew that I wanted something in the Gibson mould- set neck, humbuckers etc. The PRS was the best thing I played. It's very light, sounds great and it's really well put together.
    6. Sorry, haven't got any pics readily available.

•  Originally Posted By: Loli832
    1. Epiphone
    2. Les paul special II
    4. New
    5. Very! Its my first guitar amd it has inspired me to perform in front of 30+ people this wednesday! It has a great bridge and pickups for the price and the only thing i might have bought instead of it was one of Richards RVS strat customs! Unfortunatly i hadn't heard of thwm at that point and i felt it was the best guitar for the money, it was! I'll try and edit some photo's in later.

Oh!! I have a used one in red but it would have to be a local collection on this one.
  • Bob GnarlyBob Gnarly Posts: 159Member
    I'll play;

1. Ibanez
    2. PGM500
    3. March '11
    4. 2nd hand on eBay
    5. Love this guitar. Was fairly certain I was going to like it as I already had a PGM 301, and this is very similar, but it plays and sounds better than my 301, so has become my main guitar. And I think it's gorgeous.

When I bought it it looked like this;

Don't really like autographed guitars, so some lighter fluid and a cloth later, it looked like this;
  • Mark 123Mark 123 Posts: 121Member
    Go on then:

1. Epiphone
    2. Les Paul
    3. February 2012
    4. New

5. I love this guitar. I've always played strats and Fender scale length guitars equipped with trems, but no more! It's my number one, to the extent that I've now got rid of my strat.
  • lancpudnlancpudn Posts: 1,393Member
    1. Vintage
    2. Telecaster
    3. 10/04/12
    4. new old stock £79 ebay
    5. I own a couple of Vintage guitars and find them excellent for my needs, Great guitars to noodle around on and wont break the bank. I bought this with the intention of modding it, but after a few weeks playing it, i like it just the way it is, great tele tone [img][/img] ....good an excuse as any to buy another guitar lol.
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3Member
    1. Fender
    2. Stratocaster Deluxe - Ash body, rosewood fb
    3. November '10
    4. 2nd hand - ebay
    5. I bought one brand spanking new back in 1999 or something.. and sold it \:\( Love the transparent green paint job!

Almost 2 years since i bought a guitar!!.. need to do something about that soon \:D quite like the look of the PRS SC58

btw, pgm looks nice.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Posts: 355Member
    Gibson SG Standard
    March 2012
    Another one from ebay..

I had one of the early faded Studios from 2003, which I sold in a fit of student poverty/stupidity. I had an ebay standing search for my old baby and spotted this- massive bargain as it'd had a headstock repair. I love it.

Gibson SG Standard by stickyfiddle, on Flickr
     Originally Posted By: Richard - Richards Guitars
     Originally Posted By: Loli832
    1. Epiphone
    2. Les paul special II
    4. New

Oh!! I have a used one in red but it would have to be a local collection on this one.

I'm being stupid but... what do you mean?
    I Don't have the funds to buy a new guitar right at the moment seeing as i just bought this one (if that is what you meant.) also were you refering to a red RVS or a red LP Secial II? (I have a mate who is interested in both once Exams are over) http://flic.kr/p/bQ3kSx

• Sorry for confusing and spoiling the thread!!

I meant, I have a red special II second hand but I don't advertise them at this price. I only sell them in store. Due to the price and the fact that we hand finish the guitar to such a high standard its literally not worth my time listing it, photgraphing it, packing it etc. so I just wait for someone to appreciate it in store rather than advertising it online.

I am very critical of branding and image over substance but frankly based on the one I have seen they look great value for just over £100 I think they are?
    Yeah i paid £114 for mine and its been great! I had to push the tone and volume knobs on properly and there is a small mark in the wood you can see through the burst but other than that its properly good.
  • LurcherLurcher Posts: 710Member
    I'll exclude my kit SG, so:
    1. Ellis
    2. Series 2 (Les Paul)
    3. February 2010
    4. New

5. Delicious guitar straight out of the box. I took Tim Ellis' word for it being great and it was spot on. Pickups (Wilkinson overwound) were a bit harsh but I was given a set of Skatterbrane Quiescence pickups (A5 neck, A2 Bridge) and they fixed the sound to perfection. I replaced the full Page wiring with simple pots and PIO caps and turned the magnet and the pickup in the neck position.

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator
    My most recent purchase was the Gordon-Smith Gypsy II bought back last November. It was a long way from being new (1985) but only cost me £275. I has turned out to be a wonderful guitar. All I have done to it is fit locking strap buttons and new strings. I am very happy with it.
  • OvalsOvals Posts: 13Member
    Nothing very exotic I'm afraid.

1. Squier
    2. Strat Affinity 20th Anniversary in tobacco sunburst
    3. April/12
    4. 2nd hand locally off Gumtree
    5. It sounds great and is in very good condition barring one or two really small dinks on the bottom - nice looking guitar. But I don't like the narrow neck - it is just over 40mm at the nut - much smaller than my LPs (at about 43mm). I was looking for a strat but I only bought this because it was a bargain at just £45 including a Fender practice amp. I had planned to upgrade it but I will probably just move it on after giving it a facelift and sorting out the dinks. Tempted to rewire and screen it, just for fun.
  • TheGuitarWeaselTheGuitarWeasel Posts: 240Member
    I've got a 'Huffy-Nutty' neck on a bullet body ... and loads of custom work done ... love it. I have long, skinny fingers, so don't mind the narrower nut.
  • sausage100uksausage100uk Posts: 16Member
    1:Aria
    2:TA 50
    3: 2 days ago
    4:used but only 3 months old as the guy I bought it off didn't like it....
    5: I've been playing for about 2 years, this is the first guitar that I have picked up and played and thought.....wow this is great, looks nice feels nice, plays great.the sound can go from warm jazzy to rorty grungy rock (with my new o/d pedal). I'm thinking that this could do my other guitars out of a job.

6: [img]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/img0252dt.jpg/[/img]
  • alfsboyalfsboy Posts: 14Member

this is my fairly new Fender Japan TN-SPL.great guitar with two Texas Specials and a Dragster humbucker on a five way switch .It now has a Van Zandt bridge pickup and I have put in a four way switch to just give slot to each pickup on its own and a series bridge/middle . \:\)

This my latest .A Blacktop FSR Jaguar .I love it but its very heavy for an old dolt like me but when I play it as long as I have doped up on Ibroprufen it plays like butter and becomes featherlight .Getting to love shortscale offsets ,its got very versatile pickups from jazz to country via heavy rock and all stations in between \:\)
  • JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator
    Nice guitars alfboy. Particularly like the Tele.
    Cheers jocko .I like your headstock logo .The Tele is a real work of art and drips quality ,apart from the minipots that came standard .The minute you pick up it just feels different and better .Dunno what the Japanese do ,both neck and body are poly but superbly done and feels thinner than fender USA or Mexico.I do love the Blacktop but if feels a bit more clunkier next to the Tele but the neck is a great player too .
  • Blues_DevBlues_Dev Posts: 119Member
    1:Epiphone
    2:Dot Studio
    3: 1 week
    4: used
    5: Don't be put off by the low price of these. All I can say if you have not had the pleasure to play one of these yet then rush out and try one. It has got to be one of the best bang for buck guitars out there. I also have a hofner Veriythin from the 60s and and Aria Pro II (both hollow bodies) and this blows them away! Only complaint there is some string slippage due to the not so good tuners (meant to be grovers>?!!!)

Apart from that mmmnnnnnnnn doughnuts!
  • Ape09090Ape09090 Posts: 2,744Member
    I hear they're made in China now and were made in Korea before,is there much quality difference between the two?
  • Blues_DevBlues_Dev Posts: 119Member
    it's a MIK so cant comment, sorry I should have mentioned that in my original post.
  • Ape09090Ape09090 Posts: 2,744Member
    does anyone know how to go about identifying if one of these guitars is Korean or Chinese made?

If I had a serial number ,say

R02K1038