Guitars in my possession at present

lancpudnlancpudn Posts: 1,393Member
edited September 2016 in Personal Diaries
A quick look at the guitars in my possession at present

from left to right.

Squier custom II Tele, These P90 guitars are just so nice to play and sound great.

Hofner Ignition Bass. Love that thing to bits, its so light and plays like a dream.

91 Samick Squier strat. Fitted a pre-loaded Gilmour scratchplate with Platinum grade from Ironstone pickups.

Epiphone LP Standard. My first guitar. I'm never going to get rid of this so i thought i'll bring it back to life. I had the neck re-fretted with ernie ball stainless steel jumbo frets, I installed Dimarzio pickups, A Air norton in the bridge and a Tonezone in the neck, Also swapped out all the electrics/pots/cap for a vintage loom with switchcraft pots and a mojo oil filled cap. IT FREAKIN ROCKS now LOL

Peavey EXP Tele. That has one of the nicest playing necks i've ever played, beautiful guitar for noodling.

Vintage V2 Tele. I bought this new old stock for a song with the intention of modding it, but as of yet i love it just the way it is.

Epiphone Sheraton. Absolute joy to play. Love it to bits, another guitar that'll stay with me.

Epihone Thunderbird bass, Fabulous guitar, very well made and it sounds the dogs do-dahs.

I dont play through an amp these days as i only play by the puter, so mostly line 6 interfaces with Amplitube3 and Guitar rig 5 through the puter THX surround sound system. smile

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Comments

• HobbioHobbio Posts: 21Member
    Good to see you've put a diary up mate smile

Deja vu, but you have some cool guitars. I need to get a rack like that soon, too.

In for the updates smile
  • lancpudnlancpudn Posts: 1,393Member
    Thanks Hobbio, I accidentally put it in jockos thread yesterday....brain in neutral as usual lol. Those racks are great......if your careful you can fit two guitars in one slot, easy to slip another guitar under wifeys radar. laugh
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,314Member
    Nice collection! cool

Gotta agree with you about the good qualities of P90 guitars and the Hofner Ignition Bass.
  • money4nothingmoney4nothing Posts: 169Member
    sweet! that custom tele is beautiful wink . ive also got an epi les paul with dimarzios (air norton in the neck and d-sonic in the bridge). ive always had a thing for dimarzio pups
    Thanks Mark P & M4N. That Squier custom II Tele was the first P90 guitar I've owned and I love the tone of those P90's, such a nice versatile guitar. Yeah those dimarzio's are great pickups, I was going to put a pair of Seymour Duncans in JB/SH-2Jazz but the night before I was going into town to buy them I watched a local band down the pub and the lead guitarist had those air norton/tonezone in a Gibson LP and they absolutely rocked, so i had a word with him after the gig and was sold on those.
    My guitar journey started really late in life
    I was fifty years old before i got my first guitar blush
    It was a cheap no name acoustic off ebay for £50
    Not knowing anything about guitars at that time
    the action was really high but it made a nice sound
    so off i went to the music store to buy a three chord song book
    and soon discovered that my favourite songs all used a F barre chord
    that was soon to give me endless frustration.
    Trying to fret an F barre chord on this acoustic required a pair of pliers and a really strong hand
    to force down the strings cry I persevered but decided to
    look at other songs in the book that didn't contain the dreaded F chord lol
    After six months i decided to buy an electric guitar
    so went on ebay and found an Epiphone Les Paul in cherry
    sunburst that i liked and won the auction.
    It was so much easier to play than the acoustic and I really
    took to it, The first amp i bought was a line 6 spider 75 watt
    that sounded very good, then a zoom 505 guitar effects pedal.
    A succession of mostly squier strats/telecasters came and went, still got the 91 samick strat and the squier custom II telecaster along with the Epi Sheraton, eventually plucked up the courage to post some vids of my noodlings and got friendly with a bunch of like minded guys on youtube
    and other guitar sites, and got around to learning how to
    use a DAW (reaper) and get better audio quality on the vids
    I bought a line 6 guitarport then a line 6 Pod XT live interface/pedal that sounded pretty damn good compared to the
    vidcam Mic and was set up for better quality videos
    Next on the horizon was a video editor software that
    could do PIP (picture in picture) videos so i could lay a bass
    track down on video that a rhythm/lead video, huge learning
    curve but very rewarding.
    As things progressed i quite fancied a go at bass guitar
    so went on ebay and bought a epiphone EBO SG shortscale bass
    then i started to play bass for the collaboration cover songs
    we were doing and loved every minute of it.
    Then I traded the HBO SG in for a Epiphone Thunderbird bass
    then got gas for a Hofner violin bass, i got a Hofner ignition
    beatles bass in black for a real cheap price off ebay.

I started to do a lot of collaborations with friends in the USA/Australia/Europe and I'm having great fun learning new songs on a regular basis, each in turn picks a song
    gets a drum backing track and we split the guitar/bass parts
    between us. We then send our audio/vid files to whoever turn it is to do the editing/mixing. I've just finished the latest vid playing my Thunderbird bass guitar on smile
    The Rolling stones "back in black" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESZnimKzliE&list=UUSxWtulGrk8LPQaOWq-uDcA&index=1
  • LesterLester Posts: 1,730Member, Moderator
    That's a cleverly done and clear sounding video, lancpudn. And a nice story; for a late starter you have been making up for lost time, haven't you!
    Cool stuff matey smile
    Very good video lancpudn! cool

Like Lester says you've really hit the ground running at speed - just shows how much can be achieved with a late start to this guitar hobby. smile
    Thanks a lot Lester, Hobbio, Mark. I've spent every single spare minute of the last eight years or so practising and learning the guitar Only regret is not picking up a guitar when i was younger. cry
    I regret not carrying on from the age of 5ish, when I started.

Then I regret switching to keyboard for a few years in my early teens.

Then I regret not carrying on when I rediscovered the guitar in my late teens.

I'm not dropping it this time though!
    Originally Posted By: Lester
    That's a cleverly done and clear sounding video, lancpudn. And a nice story; for a late starter you have been making up for lost time, haven't you!

Originally Posted By: Hobbio
    Cool stuff matey smile

Originally Posted By: Mark P
    Very good video lancpudn! cool

Like Lester says you've really hit the ground running at speed - just shows how much can be achieved with a late start to this guitar hobby. smile

Thank you kindly Lester,Hobbio,Mark. Thought I'd just share what I've been up to lately, I've been involved with some more collaborations with mate's wanting me to pitch in with some bass guitar. I seem to be playing more bass than six string these days, ah well its all good practise i suppose and i do enjoy the change. Just done "my sharona the knack" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCpTnzx3b9U&list=UUSxWtulGrk8LPQaOWq-uDcA&index=2 and this mornings efforts on a Blue oyster cult song "dont fear the reaper" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDmMX0zdjVQ&list=UUSxWtulGrk8LPQaOWq-uDcA&index=1 just a rough idea on the main bass rhythm part played throughout the song.
    I'll have a watch at home later as work blocks YooToob
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
    Great stuff - 2 very enjoyable tracks. I think there is quite a bit of subtlety to good bass playing, it's not necessarily about flashy technique, but knowing where to place notes, working with the drummer, that kind of stuff, and you do it very well!
    What Megi said! Well played. cool

Good to have the choice of bass for the two very different sounds. I like to see a Violin Bass put to good use - love the very unique tones they can produce.
    Originally Posted By: Megi
    Great stuff - 2 very enjoyable tracks. I think there is quite a bit of subtlety to good bass playing, it's not necessarily about flashy technique, but knowing where to place notes, working with the drummer, that kind of stuff, and you do it very well!

Thanks Megi, It all started off as a bit of a laugh really, Some of the guys i do collaborations with said who's going to buy a bass guitar than we've got most of the instruments covered in these collabs, So i said i'll give it a shot and bought a epi HBO SG bass off ebay for cheap money (great bass guitar by the way) and i've really enjoyed learning and playing it. It took a bit of getting used to at first but it's been very rewarding. There's just too many great bass lines out there to play not to get one. grin
    Well I had the chance to play on a collaboration with a couple of very talented guys from the USA last week so i dusted the Epiphone Thunderbird bass off and got to learning the bass parts for Blue oyster cults Don't fear the reaper, Delighted with how it turned out. smile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHBcI5ub0J4
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
    Great stuff lanc, I do like that Firebird bass of yours, very cool! And I've long had a liking for that kind of 70s US rock, so that was right up my street, terrific song of course.
    So this is what I've been up to on this gloriuosly hot weekend wink Definately not shorts weather so retreated back into the guitar den and brushed the dust off the Firebird and played some Grunge smile What about you guys! http://www.dailymotion.com/bollockybastard#video=xyk96d
    So i emailed my bass wav file and video file over to my mates in the USA to mix and edit his guitar parts and vocals and this is the outcome, really pleased with it. smile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gn34SiGjCk
  • JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator
    I think you should be pleased.
  • richcastlerichcastle Posts: 64Member
    I recently got myself a squier strat and it's a delight to practice on. Easy to handle and sounds great.
    Thanks Jocko, you never know how they're going to turn out when you send your files off, but he's got a great set o pipes and a really good guitar player. smile
    Originally Posted By: richcastle
    I recently got myself a squier strat and it's a delight to practice on. Easy to handle and sounds great.

Hi richcastle, I've got a couple of squiers and they're great players, I love them.
    Well finally got the other guitar parts in from a couple of mates in the USA and Canada to finish this wild cherry song off and it's turned out pretty damn good saying it's a genre of music i don't usually play, any excuse to noodle around on the Hofner ignition bass is fine by me smile It's all good practice. we used a backing track with just the drums,vocals,horns because none of can sing lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Goj4W9R4NqM
    Well done. Sounds great.
    Nice Job!! ... and the Violin Bass sounds just right. cool
    Originally Posted By: Mark P
    Nice Job!! ... and the Violin Bass sounds just right. cool

Thanks Jocko, Mark. hey Mark one thing i want to ask you about your Hofner bass, is your bridge pickup quieter than the neck pickup when fingering directly above the pickup! playing this particular song the fingering sounded much tighter and better played over the bridge pickup but was noticeably quieter than fingered over the neck pickup with the volume maxed out. I was wondering if it was a quirk of these guitars!
    Remember, the strings are not vibrating over the bridge pickup with quite the same amplitude as over the neck pick up. Also worth checking the respective heights of the pickups from the strings.