Solo to Shine on You Crazy Diamonds

The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
edited September 2016 in Technical or Theoretical Questions
I'm learning the solo to Shine on You Crazy Diamonds at the mo, which is, of course, a classic. There are quite a few big bends with vibrato, which isn't a technique I use at all and I'm finding it very tough to do. Any advice?

Comments

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,314Member

JustinGuitar.com has a video - he keeps getting mentioned as a good on-line guide for how to do things.

I won't tell you what I do ... best you don't copy my mistakes.

• The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
    Thanks,  Mark, that's perfect.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator

I find vibrato with no bends hard enough.

My no bend technique is the generally move up and down the neck unless a big fat one is needed. This video instantly made perfect sense.
  • Brian LurcherBrian Lurcher Posts: 15Member

Had to laugh at the way Justin explains it all so well and then, at speed, he simply shakes the guitar. I tend to use the violinists method of a vibrato by moving the pressure forward and back (not side to side) as it gives a fuller up and down pitch change. Or I use a guitar with a whangy bar, like Gilmour.

Brian, that's how I do it too, but it doesn't work on bends.
  • Brian LurcherBrian Lurcher Posts: 15Member

It works for me but I'm thinking about it on a Gibson scale neck with fairly light strings (9s). I wouldn't try it on an acoustic and my only longer scale guitar has a Floyd anyway. At least its not a commonly used trick. I can never get my head around how you bend a harmonic and apply a bit of vibrato. Closest I can get is to grab the whangy and shake the guitar up and down image

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,206Member

My tips for the sideways approach would be to have the thumb resting over the top edge of the neck, and to think of this as a pivot point, around which the rest of the hand turns. Then keep the wrist more or less locked/immobile, and turn the whole forearm/hand as a unit - that way, you are using bigger, stronger arm muscles to get the bend and/or vibrato. I'd say practice both bends and vibrato separately using this technique first, and then when ready, try putting vibrato on at the top of a bend. It does take time and practice before the results come (at least in my experience) but if you stick at it, it will start to happen. I can even do bending vibrato on guitars fitted with 12s now, using this approach.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I have plenty of work to do.