Tele necks - I have the urge to build

BryBry Posts: 652Member
What do you do when Northwest Guitars have sold out of all Tele necks, AxesRus no longer list them and GuitarbuildUK intriguingly suggest that they do but give no details? Do I have to go to StewMac?It's a good thing I dont have the urge to build*   *except that I do. 

Comments

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator

I have purchased necks from Stew-Mac, and apart from the one that went to Afghanistan by mistake, have always been delighted with them.

With regard to www.guitarbuild.co.uk - have you e-mailed Phil to ask about necks?  He is a great guy to work with.  Very accommodating.

• manofgresleymanofgresley Posts: 137Member

Hi

I can recommend AGC (Advanced Guitar Center) on E Bay, if you are looking for an alternative to a genuine Fender part.

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,191Member

Just looking at the AGC stuff now - appears decent, but annoying that all the RH necks seem to have the (to my eyes) overdone vintage tint. The 22 fret LH strat neck looks like the sort of thing I'd choose, if only they had it in RH...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22-F...;hash=item84cc836140

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

You could always take a punt on one of the necks on ebay.  My unfinished neck as used on my Sox Baycaster build cost me £30.  OK, I had to do some work on it (I'd always intended on refretting it and putting a Tusq nut on anyway) and the re-radiusing was a useful learning exercise as well.  Six months on and the neck is still solid as a rock and plays very nicely.

Cheers, Reg.

• manofgresleymanofgresley Posts: 137Member
    Originally Posted by Megi:

Just looking at the AGC stuff now - appears decent, but annoying that all the RH necks seem to have the (to my eyes) overdone vintage tint. The 22 fret LH strat neck looks like the sort of thing I'd choose, if only they had it in RH...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22-F...;hash=item84cc836140

Give them a call, they are very helpful.

• BryBry Posts: 652Member

There's some 'nearly ones' there (AGC) but I dont want the truss rod adj. at the heel and I dont really want the 'vintage' tint which rules out most of them.

axecaster.co.uk looks promising, MM and Allparts necks although they too seem to be out of stock on a lot of the MM, is there a shortage of necks or something?

I've not emailed guitarbuild, I just noticed the other day their new web site says 'bodies, necks and parts' but found no further mention of the necks.

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

From some of the previous discussion on this subject there appears to be the whiff of Fender Corporate Lawyers cracking down on unlicenced products described as Fender.  Perhaps a trip to ebay and a look to the East might be the solution.  Plenty of necks from China, although it might be a leap of faith.

Cheers, Reg.

Originally Posted by Reg Sox:

You could always take a punt on one of the necks on ebay.

Cheers, Reg.

That's a tactic that served me well before I cared about neck profiles and fretboard radius etc but I'm trying to be a bit more specific this time. Having found a neck I really like has made some (most) of the others feel a bit uninspiring so at least I have a little more idea of what I want this time around.

I need to find two necks that look like the 1st one but feel like the 2nd...

This is almost finished but is going nowhere with a neck that feels like a fencepost

strelly04

Whereas this needs lots of work and is an ideal candidate for a nice bit of veneer but as the current favorite (by some way) I dont really want to take it apart just now.

_DSC0236-Edit

• AndyjrAndyjr Posts: 659Member
    Originally Posted by Bry:
    Originally Posted by Reg Sox:

You could always take a punt on one of the necks on ebay.

Cheers, Reg.

That's a tactic that served me well before I cared about neck profiles and fretboard radius etc but I'm trying to be a bit more specific this time. Having found a neck I really like has made some (most) of the others feel a bit uninspiring so at least I have a little more idea of what I want this time around.

I need to find two necks that look like the 1st one but feel like the 2nd...

This is almost finished but is going nowhere with a neck that feels like a fencepost

strelly04

Whereas this needs lots of work and is an ideal candidate for a nice bit of veneer but as the current favorite (by some way) I dont really want to take it apart just now.

_DSC0236-Edit

I like the finish on that bottom one, Bry - very smart 

Ref necks on existing guitars that just don't quite feel right, I am a heathen who will reshape in situ...usually with just a simple set of cabinet scrapers.  It's a bit like 1st and 2nd fitting of a suit (not that I ever get made to measure suits!).  I definitely do that with my homebuilts - you can't judge a neck's feel until it's all assembled and strung up!

Andy

Originally Posted by Andyjr:

Andy

It doesn't bear too close an inspection image 

• AndyjrAndyjr Posts: 659Member
    Originally Posted by Bry:
    Originally Posted by Andyjr:

Andy

It doesn't bear too close an inspection