Fender are taking a leaf out of Megi and I's book

JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator
edited August 2016 in Guitar Chat
Looks like Fender are taking a leaf out of Megi and I's book with an oiled ash finish for the Strat.

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member

They've clearly copied me (note the use of dark scratchplate with light pickups/knobs, 22 fret neck, modern tuners, also the headstock truss adjust and single string tree) - I will have to instruct my lawyers I think... image

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Another week, another "new" strat from Fender.

Does it say if the neck is oiled finish as well?  If so I wonder if Warmoth can continue to justify that their neck warranty is invalidated if you use oil as a finish when the original manufacturer they are copying is using it?

I'm surprised Fender hasn't set up a collectors club:

"Get the new Collectors Club Strat every month for one low payment of £200 every week - Set up your Direct Debit now!".

Of course the first month after you sign up you'll receive the lovely Hello Kitty collectors Strat  - Enjoy

Cheers, Reg.

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,314Member

Nice to see Fender do occasionally still do a finish with natural wood.

Tad pricey though and Megi's looks a lot better on the wood grain - it was a one piece body wasn't it Graham? Not the case on the Fender as far as I can see.

Originally Posted by Mark P:

Nice to see Fender do occasionally still do a finish with natural wood.

Tad pricey though and Megi's looks a lot better on the wood grain - it was a one piece body wasn't it Graham? Not the case on the Fender as far as I can see.

Thanks for remembering my strat, and you remember correctly Mark - it used a lovely bit of sculpted ash from guitarbuild.co.uk, and indeed a one-piece. The reason I chose ash in the first place was seeing your own lovely ash-bodied strat build, and Jocko's gorgeous blonde tele. Plus of course I'd already built an ash-bodied tele at this point, and knew I liked the wood. Anyway, you know my weakness, and it somehow seems a long time since I built the guitar (started back in October 2011, finished early 2012) so forgive me jumping on the chance to post some pics that haven't been aired for a while...

stratproj033

stratproj097

stratproj147

stratproj148

I am intending to buy another tortoiseshell scratchplate for it soon (Axesrus still sell the same one), and will re-wire with a simpler circuit which has master volume and tone, plus a blend control - which I've discovered I much prefer for a strat. That will lose the two mini-switches, which I now find look a bit cluttered, and make for a cleaner, more purposeful guitar I think. Also I'm thinking I'll change the vintage style Wilkinson bridge to the more modern one they make - still 6 screw fixing, but has solid steel saddles and a raised surround - very comfortable under the heel of the picking hand - I have one on my other walnut bodied strat. The guitar is certainly good enough to justify the further expense anyhow - I would struggle to ever part with it, despite the fact that my playing style does not usually cause me to need a strat! image

• ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 980Member
    Originally Posted by Megi:
     The guitar is certainly good enough to justify the further expense anyhow - I would struggle to ever part with it, despite the fact that my playing style does not usually cause me to need a strat!

Need! did you just say need? When has that ever had anything to do with guitars?

;-)

Originally Posted by ESBlonde:
     The guitar is certainly good enough to justify the further expense anyhow - I would struggle to ever part with it, despite the fact that my playing style does not usually cause me to need a strat!

Need! did you just say need? When has that ever had anything to do with guitars?

;-)

Of course you are correct - hence despite not really needing the above swamp ash strat, I later went and built another one from walnut, which I "needed" even less... image

• martinsmith99martinsmith99 Posts: 388Member

Originally Posted by ESBlonde:

;-)

Of course you are correct - hence despite not really needing the above swamp ash strat, I later went and built another one from walnut, which I "needed" even less... image

Need?  I NEED a Strat like Megi's.  image

My skills don't extend this far yet, but maybe one day.
    Originally Posted by martinsmith99:

Need?  I NEED a Strat like Megi's. 

My skills don't extend this far yet, but maybe one day.

Cheers Martin - I think we may have had this conversation before image but my skills for that build were nothing more than buying the right parts from the right places, and being able to use sandpaper, and being able to drill holes of the right diameter in the right place. The Tru Oil finish was applied in thin layers using a wad of paper kitchen towel. I guess I would add the skill of being fussy about detail, and being prepared to take my time. Oh yes - the soldering for the electrics and shielding the cavities with copper foil would be skills too I suppose, but I was able to pick that up with all the free advice on the interweb, and I just used the cheapest £10 soldering iron from Maplins. It's really just putting together lots of easily acquired low-level skills, with a bit of care, thought and time. image

• martinsmith99martinsmith99 Posts: 388Member

I think you are under-selling yourself sir.

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator
    Originally Posted by martinsmith99:

I think you are under-selling yourself sir.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Coffee and Creme and Heartbreaker 15-4-14

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator

The question was asked, "Is the neck oiled?".

Here is the spec and the answer is No.

• Body Shape: Stratocaster
    • Body Finish: Oiled
    • Neck Shape: Modern "C" Shape
    • Number of Frets: 22
    • Fret Size: Medium Jumbo;
    • Position Inlays: Black Dot
    • Fretboard Radius: 9.5" (24.1 cm)
    • Fretboard: Maple
    • Neck Material: Maple
    • Neck Finish: Satin Finish on Back, Gloss Finish on Front

Thanks Jocko - Warmoth are off the hook then!

My strat has a satin finish on the back of the neck as it happens - more shameless copying by Fender it would seem... image

It's the sincerest form of flattery.

I formally announce that henceforth Fender's oil finish Strat will be unofficially known amongst all forumites as the:

"Megi (play all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order, and call it Jazz) Signature Model".

Megi, you can get that on the headstock can't you?

Cheers, Reg.

Originally Posted by Reg Sox:

It's the sincerest form of flattery.

I formally announce that henceforth Fender's oil finish Strat will be unofficially known amongst all forumites as the:

"Megi (play all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order, and call it Jazz) Signature Model".

Megi, you can get that on the headstock can't you?

Cheers, Reg.

Erm - I could, but I think I'll pass on that for the moment... image

[Actually, out of minor interest - I could never think of anything that I liked enough to put on the headstock of that guitar, or any of my other builds for that matter, so I prefer to leave them blank. The headstock of the "wave guitar" did have a gothic letter "C" logo for a while, but after a while I just wasn't happy with it, and when the headstock front needed re-finishing, I took the opportunity to remove it.]