USB socket on TC Electronic reverb pedal

Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 781Member
I bought a little TC Electronic reverb pedal the other day and didn't pay too much attention.  When I got it out of the box at home I found a USB socket on the side.  Turns out it can be edited using TC Electronic's TonePrint software.  Anyone tried this?  What do you think of it?

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,191Member

I ordered a new TC Electronic Hypergravity compressor for my pedalboard only today, as it happens - this has the TonePrint thing also. I think how it works is you connect the pedal up to computer via USB cable, and go onto the TC TonePrint website, and you get download special settings (some designed by famous guitarists) which alter how the pedal sounds in interesting ways. Or something... Seems like an interesting bonus on the face of it.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/to...nt/toneprint-guitar/

• BryBry Posts: 652Member
    Originally Posted by Megi:

you get download special settings (some designed by famous guitarists) which alter how the pedal sounds in interesting ways. Or something... Seems like an interesting bonus on the face of it.

My amp does this, pedal board connects to pc via USB and I can download all kinds of amp & effect settings which can also be used by Gearbox the interface software so I can* have the same selection of pre-sets when playing through the amp or the pc.

*could if it had come with instructions.

• merlinmerlin Posts: 92Member

I use a TC Electronics Alter Ego that has the tone print option. I've never used it I prefer to just dial in the couple of sounds that I use and off I go. 

• Ninja_RebornNinja_Reborn Posts: 124Member

Tone print is pretty cool. 

The software alters how the internal parameters of the pedal work - so they are more than a preset; they are more akin to complete pedal voices.

While you can download them via a PC there is a better way of doing it - you download the TonePrint App for IOS or Android and use it to select you chosen print via the interface.  You then hold the phone to the pickups on your guitar and it "beams" the parameters down to the pedal.

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

Using the pickups as NFC aerial coils to induct the transmitted data down to the pedal - absolute genius!

Highly unlikely to work on a piezo though.

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,191Member
    Originally Posted by Reg Sox:

Using the pickups as NFC aerial coils to induct the transmitted data down to the pedal - absolute genius!

Highly unlikely to work on a piezo though.

Erm... yes, er, you took the words out of my mouth Reg, I was going to say that... Obviously I understand all that stuff about the indicated watsits and thingumies perfectly, but you saved me the bother there, nice one. 

Actually I don't have a smart phone (yet) so I did make sure there was a USB download option for my new pedal before buying. There is no paper instructions included with the TC Hypergravity btw - at first I thought it was missing, but I've found out that this is just how they do things - all the manuals are on the website as pdfs. How modern!

NFC - Near Field Communications.  Increasingly common on mobile phones and other similar equipment, including credit cards that provide contactless payment.

Step down transformers that you'll have in any mains powered electronic equipment (e.g. you guitar amplifier), more commonly called PSUs, consist of different windings not dissimilar to an electric guitar pickup.  The mains goes through a winding and is adjacent to another winding (or windings) via iron cores (why they are heavy - Jocko might like to correct my descriptions if I've used the incorrect technical terminology).  There's no electrical connection between the sets of windings but the current is inducted between the two sets of windings (like a string moving in the magnetic field of a guitar pickup with the coil then producing the small voltage/current).  The relative number of windings on the two coils determines the resulting voltage from feeding in mains.  So that's how when you plug 240 volts into your guitar amp it gets stepped down to 12v or whatever to drive the silicon.  For DC there's a rectifier that sits between the transformer output to convert from AC to DC.  There's many other similar applications of which NFC is one - they all work on the same principles.

Hope that helps.  It helped me dragging that out from the back of my mind from 'O' Level Physics.  40 years ago I could have probably quoted you the equation for working out how to get from Voltage X to Voltage Y via Z number of windings.

Cheers, Reg.

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 781Member

Sorry, I really hate to get all technical on you guys, but I have to correct a couple of technical inaccuracies in the previous posts.

Toneprint works by downloading the new sound onto your smartphone, that's true, but then it all hinges around the TC Fairies.  The fairy folk remember the setting and then they crawl down the guitar cable (in between the outer cover and the earth braid, for you technophiles!) and then the pedal has a teeny-tiny keyboard and a screen in a little room, and the fairies then re-programme the software in the pedal.  All very clever!

Mmm, someone's watched "Inside Out" one time too many methinks  

Inside Out? That's one of my favorite documentaries this year!
  • martinsmith99martinsmith99 Posts: 375Member

I have the Flashback x4 and the Tone Print option is good.  What isn't good is how the app keeps losing my favourites.

Oops! Not good image

• SilversharkSilvershark Posts: 36Member
    Bry posted:
    Originally Posted by Megi:

you get download special settings (some designed by famous guitarists) which alter how the pedal sounds in interesting ways. Or something... Seems like an interesting bonus on the face of it.

My amp does this, pedal board connects to pc via USB and I can download all kinds of amp & effect settings which can also be used by Gearbox the interface software so I can* have the same selection of pre-sets when playing through the amp or the pc.

*could if it had come with instructions.

Is this what you need?

http://l6c-acdn.line6.net/data...0User%20Manual%20%20(%20Rev%20C%20).pdf