Which strings?

SmartySmarty Posts: 403Member
I've just bought a set of EB Earthwood strings (which I've yet to fit). I remember putting a set on my Taylor (an already bright sounding guitar), but they were far too bright sounding. However,  I think they may just worn out on my Songwriter - which is far more rounded sounding. I'll report back but in the meantime I just wondered what everyone else uses on their guitars?  I know Elixrs are pretty popular on here.......anything else?

Comments

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

All my guitars, acoustic and electric (and the cittern), are strung with Newtones these days.  They last for ages, have lower tension without losing tone, and I can buy them in custom sets in terms of the gauges. E.g. the 5th and 6th strings of my Faith Parlour react better to thinner gauges because of the shorter scale length so I go with what would normally be part of a set of 10s for those, but the other four strings are what would normally be part of a set of 12s.

Never tried (or to be honest heard of) EB Earthwood strings.  I'll be interested to know what you think.  When I get my Guild dred back up and running I'll be trying different sets on that to see what works.  Traditionally I used Guild PBs on it but that was a couple of decades ago - I'm sure string technology has moved on so I'll be open minded.

Cheers, Reg.

• SteerSteer Posts: 132Member

I always use Martin strings on my Acoustics.

I have tried various makes on my electrics, and I think Fender bullets are probably my no.1 choice.

So, nothing too fancy. I tend to find that my strings last quite a long time, so I have never felt the need to pay extra for some of these long-life strings. But, I am fairly open to change if there is a radically better solution out there.  

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator

I like Fender Bullets on my Fender style electrics. I use a mixture of strings on the other electrics (to be honest, I stick strings on to try out, then never play the blooming things). I liked D'Addarios on my acoustics, but now I only have the one and I am not 100% sure as to what it came with. I have only had it a year, so it is far too soon to change them.

• merlinmerlin Posts: 92Member

On my electrics I prefer Elixir Nanowebs. On my acoustic (Antoria Hummingbird) I use D'Addario Phospher Bronze....at the moment. 

• ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 980Member

I like to experiment with string brand and gauge on each guitar until something 'clicks'

My strat is Fender 9-42

335 and tele are Pyramid 9-42 nickel wound

My Aria is Fender 10-38s

Epi acoustic is Martin 12s

I like the feel and tone of each in combination and seem to get very good life out of them, especially the pyramids which I bulk buy from a certain German online superstore.

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 799Member

I use whatever's cheapest.  I got some nice ones from Asda a couple of years back and they sold them off for 50p a set in January.  String brand, etc. makes no difference whatsoever to the sound .....

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 799Member

.... Just kidding! image

I always use D'addarios on my electrics.  I find they are usually quite reasonably priced and sound good.  I've tried stainless wraps. but don't get on with them.  (I prefer a Hoi Sin Duck wrap!)

On my acoustics I use Martin phosphor bronze.  Again, reasonably priced and sound good.

I have tried coated strings, but I never got on with them.  To me they just sounded like they were supplied already clogged up with dead skin - yuck!

Do they still do those gold-plated stings they did a few years back?

And I have to mention the brilliant left-handed guitar stings April Fool joke Guitarist ran a number of years back.  The story was that they were wrapped the opposite way and so were better for LH guitars!  The sting in the tail was the comment that they would do RH strings at 10% extra!

• GeoffGeoff Posts: 3Member
    Reg Sox posted:

All my guitars, acoustic and electric (and the cittern), are strung with Newtones these days.  They last for ages, have lower tension without losing tone, and I can buy them in custom sets in terms of the gauges. E.g. the 5th and 6th strings of my Faith Parlour react better to thinner gauges because of the shorter scale length so I go with what would normally be part of a set of 10s for those, but the other four strings are what would normally be part of a set of 12s.

Never tried (or to be honest heard of) EB Earthwood strings.  I'll be interested to know what you think.  When I get my Guild dred back up and running I'll be trying different sets on that to see what works.  Traditionally I used Guild PBs on it but that was a couple of decades ago - I'm sure string technology has moved on so I'll be open minded.

Cheers, Reg.

Hi Reg.

Although I've not been around for a while you may recall that I'm also the happy owner of a Faith Mercury.

I'm interested in what you say about the Newtones as my finger joints aren't getting any younger.

I'm wary of changing from my regular D'Addario EXP16s, as the last time I did so Elixirs seemed very lacking in bass response. (To be fair to Elixir I took them off again pretty promptly and put them on my wife's Baby T where they sounded fine.)

I'm also intrigued by your comment re lighter gauges on 5 & 6! I've always been led to believe shorter scales needed heavier gauge to maintain tone.

I'd be grateful for any comments.

• Reg SoxReg Sox Posts: 3,121Member

It's just what I tried, and it worked for me and my style of playing.  Might be something to do with Newtones generally having less tension for equivalent pitch when compared to other makes.  I found thicker gauge bass strings weren't as bright on the bass side, which is a common problem with smaller bodied (rather than shorter scale length) guitars I believe.

It might not work for someone else of course as it might be to do with how I play rather than the guitar.  I found with thicker gauge strings on 5 and 6 the bass came out more of a deadish thump rather than ringing out when playing anything other than an open string.

Cheers, Reg.

• Mark PMark P Posts: 2,314Member

Hi Geoff

Regarding Newtones and your finger joints not getting any younger.

I've been using Newtone Heritage strings on various Parlour size guitars for over 2 years now and my finger joints are so much happier for it. Fortunately I also really like the sound. I've now tried them on over half a dozen acoustics and they've been fine on them all.

The total tension from a set of Heritage strings at standard tuning is 151lbs for a set of 12-51. The tension is evenly spread too - all 6 strings in the 21 to 22 lb range, which is more comfortable than the usual spread which is all over the place. I've noticed that d'Addario have recently jumped on this even spread idea and you'd think they invented it!

When changing to these type of strings from a guitar I've been playing with normal strings for a while I do need to give it a day or so to let the guitar and/or my ears adjust to the new strings / sound.

There are, for me, no issues with using lower tension on the bass strings - if anything they are less dull and ring better.

I'm now at the stage that when I'm trying out a new guitar I itch to get the strings changed, however good the quality of the strings that are already on it. The physical relief when I do change is huge!

• GeoffGeoff Posts: 3Member

Thanks Reg and Mark for the helpful info.

I suppose there's only one way to find out for sure! 

I'll see about giving them a try.