Good Tube Amp For Home Use?

waylonwaylon Posts: 44Member
Hi everyone
I'm looking for a good tube amp for home. I like bands like Black Keys, Dead Weather etc and i found theese two
https://gb.muzyczny.pl/153558_...wy-12-Watt-2x10.html
http://www.swee****er.com/store/detail/AC4C1BL
and this one, but it's used
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-F...017984-/222107646445
Which one will be better for blues-rock?

Comments

• LesterLester Posts: 1,698Member, Moderator

Two questions: How near are your neighbours? How large is your music room? I would suggest you look at small amps, ie. definitely a maximum of 5 watts but especially 1 watt valve amps (eg. Marshall). Of those you listed I would choose the 4 watt Vox and would steer you clear of the 12 watt Fender, not because I don't like them - in fact I used a 12 watt Fender valve amp on stage last night - but because of the minimum volume needed for a nice sound.

An analogy would be why shouldn't you buy a McLaren car for commuting to work where there is a 30mph speed limit? Because others cars will do that job better, even though on a fast track you will have one of the world's best supercar experiences.

My suggestion would be to try out (at a realistic late-night home volume) the Yamaha THR10 and the Vox Mini5R, both solid state amps. I have the older version of the Vox Mini5R, called DA-5, and on its 1.5 watt setting it is plenty loud enough for me in church where there are 150 people. Hence I asked my two questions: How near are your neighbours? How large is your music room?

• SteerSteer Posts: 132Member

Lester gives good advice. I have a 5w blackstar amp, I love the amp but it is too loud for home use. If I were buying a new amp today, I would get one that switched down to say 1w or less. That way you can really push the amp to the point of breakup without annoying family and neighbors too much.

They were selling the Fender Vapourisers off for about £200 about a year ago. It's strange to see that the price has gone up. 

• Pete_BPete_B Posts: 563Member

To turn the speaker output down on a tube amp you need an L-Pad Attenuator they are fairly cheap too, full driven sound without the volume.

There is no Mojo!
  • AlidoreAlidore Posts: 528Member

To turn the speaker output down on a tube amp you need an L-Pad Attenuator they are fairly cheap too, full driven sound without the volume.

Pete.

“There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.”
  • Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 781Member

Ditto what Lester said.

The Marshall DSL5C is worth a look.  It has a lot of features (foot switchable channels, FX loop, audio in, emmulated out/headphone out) but most importantly it has a power switch and can be dropped from 5W down to 0.5W for late-night noodling.  The only downside is no on-board reverb, but I just use a TC Electronic HOF Mini set to a spring reverb sound.

Just to reinforce Lester's comments, 12W will be very loud for home use.  I used my DSL5C at a band rehearsal on Wednesday night (up against drums, bass, keyboards and two vocalists) and it was plenty loud enough.

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,106Member, Moderator

I have a Marshall Class 5 and it is a beautiful. clean valve amp. It too has the low power switch and headphone socket. The only issue is it is "exceptionally" clean sounding.

• Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 781Member

The nice thing about the DSL5C is that is is a two-channel job so channel two has gain and MV - groovy baby!