My recent work.

My brother bought a secondhand Gibson SG and a beautiful instrument it is (if you like SG's that is. Personally I am not a fan). It was a dog to play. He'd fitted 9's, in place of the 13's that were on it when he bought it, and the fret board was well bowed with the 9's. What it had been like with 13's, I hate to think.
He asked me to do a set up, so after acquiring a truss rod key for the Gibson, I did my stuff. Once I had tensioned up the truss rod (moved no problem), I had to raise the action considerably. I then raised the pickups to match as Peter loved the sound and volume he was getting. I had to intonate the 1st and 4th strings, but all the rest were spot on. I thought I'd get a shot of adjusting the nut, but it didn't need it.
It played beautifully once done and when my nephew came to pick it up (my brother had decided to pass it on, but that's another story), he was thrilled to bits with how it played.
My reward? A bottle of The Glenlivet Founder's Reserve. A wonderful tipple.

Comments

• MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
    Sounds like a very satisfying job to do Jocko, and I'm sure you did the guitar justice. I'm not a huge fan of SGs either (neither was Les Paul!), but it is one of the classics all the same. Wish I could say I've tried Glenlivet Founder's Reserve, but now I probably never will due to my enforced teetotal situation :( - think of me while you enjoy a dram anyhow!
  • JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator
    My brother just txt'd me to say he has had a shot of SG, and the change is unbelievable. He's wishing he had held on to it. He has just bought a 95 American Telecaster, and asks me to give it the treatment as well. I am looking forward to that.
    He also bought a Westfield Les Paul, from Cash Generator. It was dirty, but came with a £35, mint, gigbag, for the princely sum of £60. He pulled it to pieces (a first for him), cleaned it up, fitted gold knobs (it is wine with gold hardware), and brought it along yesterday for my appraisal. It is a beautiful guitar, set up to perfection (I didn't have to do a thing to it), sounds good and was money well spent. There are bargains out there if you look for the.
    There are bargains I know - that Westfield LP sounds terrific, and a great bargain given what you say.Aa wine red finish always looks classy on a LP too. However, I do think I am at a point where I should prune my guitar collection at least a little, rather than acquire more of the things, bargains notwithstanding. I have a 7 string that has proved to be a less than wise purchase, plus 2 or 3 more that need to find new homes really. If I can manage to cut the collection down to "sensible" proportions, then I might just look to getting the "dream guitar" - which very possibly is something like a PRS Hollowbody 2 with piezo bridge, or something very much in that vein, but built to order by Tom Waghorn.

Yes, if it ever happens, it will be a blue finish. Sorry, hi-jacking the thread a bit there.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member
    The Gibson SG is one of my favourites - after my hero, Angus Young. I just love his style. Not too fast or fancy, just right for the job. Well done, Jocko.

My friend and I did an Irish, American and Scotch whisky shoot-out.

Jameson's won it, I'm afraid (and amazed) to say.
    Fair play to the Jameson's, but I think it would depend which Scotch it was compared with...
    I like Jameson's myself, but there are so many whiskys (and whiskeys) out there that you would be hard pressed to try them all in a well financed lifetime. Personally I find Islay malts suit my palette.
    I seem to remember mentioning Glenfarclas 105 in a conversation with you once Jocko - did you ever try that one? - Not peaty like the Islays, but I somehow think you'd like it.
    I have never tried it - yet - but it is on my "to drink" list. At £45 a bottle it will have to be a very welcome gift!
    I know - it is a bit on the expensive side at £45. Ten years ago, one could get a bottle for a bit under £30, which seemed much better value to me - if I was thinking of buying a bottle for £20 or a bit more, then it was easy to persuade myself up to the high twenties for the 105. I can remember Lagavulin 16 year old being a similar tempting price too, but no more.