My names Kevin and I don't have a problem

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 980Member
    edited February 2017
    Well an update was on the cards.

Been quite of the band front for a while, although the funk band have something 11th November so thats good. Always fun with those guys.
    I find myself trawling the 'join my band' adverts in the locality (3 counties is local in this business), and I forward my phone number as a dep/hired gun occasionally (rarely get taken up because people would rightly prefer a permenant guitarist).
    Recently went for an actual audition for a band I wasn't really interested in - rockabilly into early Rock and Roll with some swing. As it transpired they couldn't organise a drinking session in a place where they make beer. But I met a great keyboard player and passed him my phone number on the off chance. Got a call the next day and a chance to fill in or even join a band working in the next county doing decent gigs once or twice a month. So I will go to audition this week probably and see how things go, looks like a 60s-70s set mainly so nothing too taxing. I might have to finally learn and play Apache having neatly avoided it all these years!
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
    Good stuff ES, and glad that your talents are being utilized. Do you use a particular website to search the "join my band" ads?
    Here ya go Megi,
    Just pick the county(s) and have a read. Lots of 'nope' to wade through but now and again something suitable pops up.

http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/classifieds/
    Thanks ES, as you say a lot of "nopes" in there, and I don't know if I should be looking for yet another band to play in at the moment really, but interesting to browse though every now and then all the same.
    Well I played the November 11th Gig in a small pub. I remeber why I dislike pub gigs now, I was placed round the corner. occasional faces peered round the wall to see who was making that racket while the band was playing! I had an audience of 5 whilst the rest of pub behind the wall was packed. Anyway I was prewarned of the space issue and elected to use my little practice combo and full pedal board. Combo is a Marshall AVT20 which is adequate but not impressive for funk, not that anyone else cared. I actually had enough space becuase no one else wanted to share the 'behind the wall' spot.
    This week I have been renovating a friends old acoustic guitar, he bought it with his first pay when the ship docked over 40 years ago and is very attached to it. It's a Japanese guitar of that vintage and has bellied up, someone has hacked the nut and bridge saddle to try and make it playable, the neck is also bowed and could do with more tension. I fitted a JLD Bridge system to solve the 'belly' issue and then replaced the nut and saddle before racking up the truss rod. Neck is now almost straight, I dressed the sides of the frets which were a bit sharp and restrung it with the old strings. The thing plays and sounds much better now, it's still a cheap guitar but playable. It needs the saddle filing down some more, mainly on the treble side but I'm waiting a couple of days for all the tensions to settle down. Then a new set of strings and a polish and I can give it back to him. It's been sitting in my house nearly two months but since it's a freebee he's not needled me about it.
    Next gig is at a pub in the depths of Essex on 20th Jan. This is being used as a showcase to secure two other function gigs.
    I seem to do a lot of my gigs in pubs, and I know what you mean about the space issues, although some are better than others. But you have my sympathy and understanding for that gig ES, having experienced similar things myself.

You mention the Marshall AVT20 as not ideal for funk, and as someone who occasionally gets a bit funky myself, I'm just curious as to what you're preferred amp for that kind of playing might be?

Sounds like some very good work done on that acoustic. :)
    The acoustic is now settled and over the weekend I will drop the action a touch and return it.

For Funk I like something capable of crystal clear and dynamic, it's always easier to take those out with a comp and tone control if needed than try and put them in with ???? well you can't! I regularly use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe when neat and shiney is important, but my preferred is still the 1968 vintage marshall 50w which has that extra dimension that so few amps possess. It's big and heavy in it's flight case, but always worth the effort for the sound.
    With you on the not being able to put back what isn't there in the first place thing - I've found that also. I remember trying to use some cheap guitar cable once, that really dulled the tone - people said to just turn the treble up a bit, but it doesn't work - some part of the signal is lost, and can't be restored.

A '68 Marshall 50W for funk - who would have thought it? but fair play - a good sound is a good sound, end of. I would imagine worth a bit that one, not that it matters. My own amp collection is a bit more modest, and all solid state. I'm not even sure which would be best for funk, but maybe the 1979 Yamaha G50 112, especially now it has a new Eminence speaker fitted. I usually end up using my Polytone jazz amp for everything though - it seems to cope well enough, is easily portable, and does have a nice warm quality.
    edited February 2017
    Had pub gig last Friday. An hours drive away and I needed the small car trailer for extra gear. When I bought the trailer 4 years ago I bought a spare wheel and tyre. It sat in the garage still in its carrier bag ever since, until Friday when I decided to throw in in the back of the car. The reason being I was taking herself along and she had a shift Saturday at the Hospital and I didn't want to be late getting her home. Gig went well and my nephew came as he lives in the nearby town, we sat and discussed cars and tyres (can you see where this is going yet?). Gig ends, I pack away without recourse to chit chat and civilities, 35 mins later we hit the road. Passing up the A12 I overtake a lorry and can't hear the bleep of the indicator! I pull into the next layby to ensure the trailer lights are fully functioning etc. and pulled out back onto the A12. I hear a clunk/thud about 2 mins later followed soon after by the Brrrrrr of a flat tyre (you are surprised at this stage). Had no choice but to proceed to the next exit and stop. Rear car tyre flat. I now have a spare having been caught with a can of useless gunk before, but it's under the boot floor which is under the combo and bags etc. So empty all the gear out, then get the jack and the spare out, can't find the crank for the jack so have to wind up the car using the handle of pliers as the crank - it was a long slow lift. Change tyre, reload car again and drove home.
    I could write a book, but the coincidences struck me as funny but I assure you didn't make me laugh at 1.00am in the dark and -2 deg. One consolation it was dry....

Lots of dodgy pics n' vids on the book of faces. Not our greatest performance I'm ashamed to say.

https://www.facebook.com/cudagroove/?fref=ts
    Looks like a great band ES - must be fun doing Chic numbers. Having to change a tyre in the cold early morning hours is not fun at all though - my sympathies about that one. :)
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 1,005Member
    I've really enjoyed reading all this, Kevin.

"As it transpired they couldn't organise a drinking session in a place wheer they make beer. " That one made me chuckle - good one!

Wow, it sounds like you've had and are still having quite a few rock n roll (Spinal Tap?!) adventures. This is actually really encouraging to me, being in my forties, seeing fifty on the horizon, and not having had any real success with the band or solo thing. Just getting out is a struggle for me, so your stories are really welcome and a fantastic read.
    Thanks for all your writings, Kevin!
    OK latest update
    This week just gone has been Panto, so hardley enough time to scratch me bits between work and Panto each day. But it's behind me now (oh no it isn't). Got to play some nice stuff like Thriller, Don't Stop and Mr Blue Sky both the last two with the solos included for once.
    Anyway heading home Friday from the office and the phone rings, pull over and it's a keys player I met in the post atop this page. His new big soul band are suddenly without a guitar player (hissy fit or some such) and would I help out. Well I don't want another full time band but they seem a decent bunch, first rehearsal will be Thursday and if all goes well a couple of dep gigs to follow - 30+ numbers to learn in 4 weeks is do-able if my brain holds together.
    Sounds like you're in demand, ES :) That's awesome. Glad to see you're busy! Even if it's tunes I wouldn't normally play, it's a lot of fun learning covers. Well, I haven't done it professionally as such so I haven't been saturated to the point of nausea, but here and there it can be fun.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member
    "But it's behind me now (oh no it isn't)."

LoL. An old gag but it cracks me up every time.
    edited March 2017
    An anecdote on that theme. My brother used to be a care worker with special needs adults and took them to a panto once.

It came to the "He's behiiiind yooooou !" bit and Buttons finally turned around and said "Well WHYYYY didn't you TELLL me ???" to which one of my brother's charges stood up angrily and shouted from the audience....

"But we DID f******g tell you !"

An anecdote on that theme. My brother used to be a care worker with special needs adults and took them to a panto once.

It came to the "He's behiiiind yooooou !" bit and Buttons finally turned around and said "Well WHYYYY didn't you TELLL me ???" to which one of my brother's charges stood up angrily and shouted from the audience....

"But we DID f******g tell you !"

Ha ha, yes special needs children and adults do attent our Pantos and can inject humour all of their own. It's wonderful to see them enjoying a live performance and interacting.
    I love this story! Our church has people with downs syndrome and they are a very special part of the community. They add a lot to the service in many ways, and not just their interjections! My world includes all people of all abilities :)
    True. They add randomness to any situation.
    I love the unfiltered honesty. A trait we seem to grow out of, sadly.
    Well I had to relearn a lesson or two Friday, it's been a while since I regularly hauled gear and gigged at corporate level.
    Posh gig Friday night for Age Concern. One Lady singer has arranged it all on thier budget, I'm happy that we worked cheap, but... It's up stairs and we had to share a small lift. I was asked to provide my big PA (old technology so heavy and bulky but it does sound sweet). The before effort to prepare the trailer and get it loaded never gets seen, but on arrival at the gig (no one else there yet and when they do arrive they bring in thier own stuff leaving me to grunt). So I strain my back!!! had to take a chair on stage to play but managed to stand mostly. And to add insult to injurt, the venue have a sound limiter!!! So I had enough power to blow the windows out the other end of the ballroom and I can't use it much. In addition one lady singer can't hear herself (but won't kiss the grill) and the bass and keys players are too loud but claim they can't hear themselves despite being the reason the singer can't hear herself. Vocal wedges are 250w clear as a bell separate mixes so no problem there it's just stage noise. It's nice for everyone else to be rock stars all miced up, but they have to give up raw volume on stage to make it work.
    We got a good sound and lots of interest for more bookings including the venue themselves so some good came of it.

Rant mode off.
  • Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 799Member
    I feel your pain.

What is it with female singers' unwillingness to let their lips brush the mike, and then their propensity to complain they can't hear themselves, eh?

I feel your pain.

What is it with female singers' unwillingness to let their lips brush the mike, and then their propensity to complain they can't hear themselves, eh?

Expensive lipstick.
    I'm jealous. No. Not of lipstick. I'm jealous that ES Blonde is doing some quality gigs, whatever the lugging of gear... good on him !
    ES Blonde and I need to form a support group for guitarists lumbered with also supplying the PA and taking responsibility for everyone else's bad sound.

What annoys me is our drummer turns up, spreads all his cases and bags out all over the stage to get in everyone's way, then goes off and has a chat with anyone he can find while we lug the PA gear in and try to set it up around the devastation he's left, then when he's finally set up he immediately starts hassling me for where he can plug his bass drum mic into, despite the fact that he can see I'm busy with something else. I've told him on more than one occasion EXACTLY where he can plug his drum mic in, let me tell you!
    Don't ever buy a van.

You will become EVERYONE's dog's body !
    Unfortunately I have vans as part of my business and I store the PA gear at my unit. Plus my business has a lot of interesting lights, etc. So I'm stuffed either way!
    @Screaming Dave I'm available for support group meetings on a wednesday evening, vast quantities of beer will be supplied. It won't solve much but we can have a bloody good man moan.

Had a band years ago when I was the older member with my own house/garage and we had a shared group van, even then I usually fixed it and stored the gear in my garage. It also ment that I usually drove so everyone else was happy to watch me work packing up while they chatted and drank at the end of the gig!

Next band went to a trailer, we got a routine where everyone had a packing job and nobody left [or got paid :-) ] until the back door closed and locked, it was better but muggins still pulled it and stored it and had the 4x4 fuel consumption all week just to be able to pull the big trailer.

Anyway this band was never going to be like that!!!!

@nicholaspaul the girls don't have to clean the mic grills so they shouldn't complain, thats my job too.

The honest truth is, I don't mind being the PA guru, I don't mind being the one who stores it and maintains it and PAT tests it when necessary as, quite frankly, I'm the only one I trust to do it. I'd just like a bit of recognition every now and again. Maybe just a cheery, "we'll buy the rehearsal beers, Dave. You do all the PA."

Rant over.

Now you know why they call me Screaming Dave!
    Aaaaargh !

I've told him on more than one occasion EXACTLY where he can plug his drum mic in, let me tell you!

Let me guess...somewhere that gives a much better low end response?

@"Kevin Peat" I knew a chap who sold a truck for that reason. Every Saturday was moving day!

@ESBlonde ewww. You could soak them in bleach so they smell enough to stay away from!

@"Screaming Dave" so your name is Dave?!