Wotcha gang!

Comments

• martinsmith99martinsmith99 Posts: 388Member
    One of the best budget Strats for feel IMO are the Aria STs.

No longer in production, but always plenty on the bay.
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Posts: 1,560Member
    I've given up the idea now.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member
    Waaay too much choice !

I say the same about soap powder. It is the greatest cause of depression in the modern era. Not the range of choice but the fear of making the wrong decision !
    I'm incredibly fickle with my hobbies. I've found the energy to invest time in my first love, golf.
  • Mark PMark P Posts: 2,314Member
    I wish I could still manage the occasional round of golf 23rd. I'd have liked to pursue the potential benefits from shot visualisation that were starting to help me improve.

But my finger joints don't allow it. Last time I played I could hardly even grip the club the last few holes.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator
    I haven't played golf for 10 years. I still have the clubs and shoes but gave up when my playing buddy had to stop and my knees started to give me gyp. I'd love to get out again. It was always my plan for when I retired. I was never any good though I went for lessons and read all the books. A bit like my guitar playing!
    Mark P said:

I wish I could still manage the occasional round of golf 23rd. I'd have liked to pursue the potential benefits from shot visualisation that were starting to help me improve.

But my finger joints don't allow it. Last time I played I could hardly even grip the club the last few holes.

I haven't actually played on the course again yet, but I'm never happier than when I'm hitting the ball - even the driving range is good for my soul. It's such a shame you can't get out again, Mark.
    Jocko said:

I haven't played golf for 10 years. I still have the clubs and shoes but gave up when my playing buddy had to stop and my knees started to give me gyp. I'd love to get out again. It was always my plan for when I retired. I was never any good though I went for lessons and read all the books. A bit like my guitar playing!

It's the hardest game in the world to be good at - such tiny margins! Maybe have a go using a buggy?

• JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator
    Buggies are too expensive. I think I could walk round okay, now I have lost so much weight. It is just getting out there to try!. I keep promising to go to my local driving range. We used to spend hours there.
    My hobby is my dog. Other than that I have no hobbies now. I really can't face guitar anymore and should get around to selling my stuff. I need something new. Something fun, which guitar never actually delivered.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
    I've heard your playing Kevin, and you're really good mate. I can't believe you never found playing music to be fun - surely there was a time? Something that made you start playing the guitar in the first place? You just have to find a way to reconnect with that. :)
    Thanks Megi.
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,721Member
    Fishing! That's a good hobby :-) I'm hoping that one day in the future I'll have a lot more time to do it. As 23rd says about golf, I feel that way about fishing. I just love being on the river bank. Alas it happens all too rarely.

On a thread-related subject, I actually can't play guitar at the moment. Wrist pain means whenever I grip the guitar neck, stretch for a chord, or press down on the string I get pain in my wrist. I did a gig last Saturday and though my wrist was hurting it wasn't so bad. It's been getting worse all week. I'm hoping I just strained it in all the excitement, as the vicar said.
    Best to take a break when the pain is at that level Derek - it's so easy to overdo playing when you're on a good roll of course. I hope it eases with being rested.

I recall getting a repetitive strain injury type of thing when I was doing classical guitar lessons several years back - too much stretching as the pieces got more and more complex ... and less and less enjoyable. A rest was all that was needed thankfully.

Shame the human body doesn't come with a lifetime warranty with free replacements of the bits that get knackered or fall off.
    Imagine what it's like for trumpeters.

They must end up talking "Mwwah gnnwaa, ingarrr, urrrgh..." after an extended period of playing.
    I used to fish really seriously as a kid, but I've bought and sold my gear so many times that I just accepted I'd fallen out of love with it. I'll never fall out of love with golf!

We're the walking wounded, ain't we?
  • Derek_RDerek_R Posts: 1,721Member
    I've discovered today that if I put a capo on the second fret and only play in the key of D then the pain isn't so bad. So that's 50% of my entire set that I can still do :-)
    Great news, Derek! If you tune down you could keep your tuning and the string tension will be even easier on your wrist.
    Well, I finally scratched that itch but ended up with a Tele type guitar instead of a Strat. It's not the best guitar in the world, but for a noodle at home I reckon it'll be just fine.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_te_70_rosewood_deluxe_series.htm?ref=mobile
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 980Member
    That'll work nicely The23rd, it will also be easy to tinker with on the setup to get it playing super smooth and you have little fear of ruining the value. there are loads of youtube videos about setting up electric guitars, some good some so so but with a tele type it's all reasonably easy to tweak.

Nice colour btw.
    ESBlonde said:

That'll work nicely The23rd, it will also be easy to tinker with on the setup to get it playing super smooth and you have little fear of ruining the value. there are loads of youtube videos about setting up electric guitars, some good some so so but with a tele type it's all reasonably easy to tweak.

Nice colour btw.

Yes, set-up is something I'm happy to do myself as long as the frets are level. Lovely colour isn't it?

Striking looking guitar 23rd. You get great value for money with the H B range.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 1,005Member
    I wanted to ask if anyone here had tried Harley Benton guitars. Don't suppose you'd care to write a review, 23rd?
    Mark P said:

Striking looking guitar 23rd. You get great value for money with the H B range.

Isn't it just? I'm reserving judgement until I've played it, but the review seem to be pretty glowing.

I wanted to ask if anyone here had tried Harley Benton guitars. Don't suppose you'd care to write a review, 23rd?

It will be a pleasure.

Woohoo! That's a sweet looking guitar but would love to know how it really is.
  • MegiMegi Posts: 7,207Member
    Nice choice 23rd - just that bit different and distinctive with the dark rosewood body. It should be a great guitar with a good setup and everything. Pictures when it arrives please!

Woohoo! That's a sweet looking guitar but would love to know how it really is.

I may not be the best judge - electric guitar isn't really my thing, but I'm happy to give you my thoughts.
    Megi said:

Nice choice 23rd - just that bit different and distinctive with the dark rosewood body. It should be a great guitar with a good setup and everything. Pictures when it arrives please!

They won't be up to my usual standard as I'm sans camera right now.

23rd 'sans camera' ???

NOOOO !

23rd 'sans camera' ???

NOOOO !

I'm as fickle about photography as I am with guitars. ;)

so, back to the Tele: I like it a lot. It's rough around the edges (of the frets), and the fretboard was as dry as my old English teacher (never did understand his sense of humour...), but I love the bloody thing. The rest of the finish is absolutely bang on, and the rosewood top is beautiful. I've only played it through a little set of Blackstar practice speakers so far, but it appears to sound like a Tele. I'll report more on the sound when I have a better amp.

I had to fiddle with the action and intonation a little, but it's lovely to noodle on. Should have bought two and saved the tenner postage. ;)
    Hmmmm good to know. I've never heard a mediocre review or comment about any HB. They're cheap enough to mod but lots of people say you don't have to, they are great as they are. I'm hankering after something with three mini humbuckers so I may do an HB, I'm just not sure which one.

Hmmmm good to know. I've never heard a mediocre review or comment about any HB. They're cheap enough to mod but lots of people say you don't have to, they are great as they are. I'm hankering after something with three mini humbuckers so I may do an HB, I'm just not sure which one.

They're so cheap you can afford to experiment. I'm looking at the 12 string Rick copy...