Shergold Guitars 2017!

Richards GuitarsRichards Guitars Posts: 589Member, Administrator
Hi guys. Not sure if you have seen my blog on Shergold guitars but they are truly awesome! Hand on heart - I never lie - you know that! LOL Trust me - find one in a shop near you and see whether you agree.

Rather than waffle on I can give you a link to my blog here...

Shergold Guitars 2017

Comments

• Richards GuitarsRichards Guitars Posts: 589Member, Administrator
    Three different pickup configuration - let me know your thoughts when you have checked out the blog. Would love to know your first impressions.

• nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 1,005Member
    Cor they are stunning! Guitarist magazine did a review on the series and had lots of good things to say. Being a bit of a prog nerd (Mike Rutherford from Genesis and Rick Battersby from Twelfth Night played them) I've regularly scoured eBay for Shergolds, just window shopping really, but now there are new ones about that changes the game!
    I'd love to play one... next time I'm in Stratford I'll pop in!
    Of course I'd have to get a complete set, be rude not to really. I mean, how can you decide?!
  • Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 799Member
    Wow! Nice to see Shergold back on the scene. Same body shape as the original Masquerader, too. I think I miss the old scroll headstock, though.

I remember Mike Rutherford often used a six string guitar and bass double neck. Wonder if they'll consider moving into double necks?
    They have used the original as the inspiration but as someone who wasnt around when the old ones were made I have no emotional attachment to them historically - the headstock is inspired by Patricks acoustic range. I cannot get over how much I love them - really cool - really well made. New yet something very old school at the same time - spot on in my book.
  • Screaming DaveScreaming Dave Posts: 799Member
    Now you're just showing off how youthful you are!

Where are they made?

Now you're just showing off how youthful you are!

They have used the original as the inspiration but as someone who wasnt around when the old ones were made I have no emotional attachment to them historically - the headstock is inspired by Patricks acoustic range. I cannot get over how much I love them - really cool - really well made. New yet something very old school at the same time - spot on in my book.

You weren't around when WHICH old ones were made? Dave and me? ;-)

I love them in their own right too. They have a modern vibe that reflects how other builders have mixed up influences, like the P90 with the humbucker and the tele bridge. I put a P90 and HB together a couple of years ago and then noticed a lot of people doing it. It's a great combination, and gives you a nice flutey single coil neck sound without too much of a drop in volume. It's a great rock/jazz/blues pairing.

They're made in Indonesia, designed in the UK.

If you fancy looking up some back issues, Guitarist magazine reviewed them in their March 2017 issue. They gave the Masquerader 1 (the Battleship Grey one) and 3 (TransDirty Blonde) 9/10 and the 2 (the Trans Cherry one shown above), 8/10. The no. 2 lost a point for "slightly more generic HSS voicing", whatever that means. The only cons they gave each of them were "no gigbag supplied; 'Marmite' body outline." I'm sure Richard will find you a fab looking gig bag. There are plenty of guitar shapes to dislike, so I don't think that's a big deal. If you need a Strat, buy a Strat, but if you want something different, then you go for Marmite.

I love Marmite. I eat it every day, without fail. And I approve of Shergolds :) Make of that what you will.
  • Southside_MikeSouthside_Mike Posts: 2Member
    edited May 2017
    Happened to see this thread when doing a search for reviews of the new Shergolds so thought I should leave a comment that the Guitarist review was completely wrong about the lack of gigbag. They actually come with a very good quality Shergold branded padded gigbag.

I've just bought one of the P90 equipped ones (not from Richard, I'm afraid) and I'd like to back up what he says about them - great value for money, considering the features. I have an old Shergold Modulator Bass that I bought new over 30 years ago, so I admit that I do have an emotional attachment (and like the shape) but I'm glad they haven't tried to do a retro thing with the new ones. The originals were never that popular anyway.

I'm really impressed with the new Masquerader 1 - so easy to get good tones out of it and really very flexible. The finish on the neck is also great.

Mike

PS - I have absolutely nothing to do with the company or any guitar shop - I'm just a customer who would like these guitars to be successful
    Good to know, Mike. Thanks for letting us all know about the gig bags. Got any pics you'd like to share :D ?
  • Southside_MikeSouthside_Mike Posts: 2Member
    Not the greatest pics, but you get the idea...

Cor what a gorgeous case! Thanks Mike. Are they available separately, Richard?
    Looks like GAK sell them separately, so yup. I'll put it on my Christmas List.
    Hi. Yes they are! All the reviews are starting to come out now too!!! I was there first remember!! ha ha.

They are utterly wonderful guitars and the cases are gorgeous too. If you need me I am online via my site.

I've just bought one of the P90 equipped ones (not from Richard, I'm afraid)

How dare you!!!

They are amazing though? I am just proud to have been part of the big push to get the name out there and to have been one of the first in the country to have seen one.

I've just bought one of the P90 equipped ones (not from Richard, I'm afraid)

How dare you!!!

They are amazing though? I am just proud to have been part of the big push to get the name out there and to have been one of the first in the country to have seen one.

I wouldn't dare buy a Shergold anywhere else

and admit it...!
  • Ninja_RebornNinja_Reborn Posts: 124Member
    I kind of like these a lot - I've never been familiar with shergold, so they are a little new to me. Love the body shape and particularly the blue-grey one. I'm not so struck on the headstock design, but I think this would grow on me.

To me they really succeed in that "modern-retro" feel which something I really like at moment. I'm going add them to my "give one a play when I get a chance list"