Epi Les Paul

I have my latest project. My brother bought a black Epiphone Les Paul Custom, via Gumtree, for £150. It is a present for my nephew. He has done all the cleaning and oiled the fingerboard. My part is to restring it and do a full set up, including any nut work. He had to buy a pickguard, strap buttons and some fixings. So hopefully, I require no more bits.
Looking forward to getting into it.

Comments

• LesterLester Posts: 1,730Member, Moderator
    This is your forte, Jocko, so we eagerly await progress reports and photos.
  • JockoJocko Posts: 7,107Member, Moderator
    That's the easy bit done. The strings are on. I'll let it sit for a couple of days before I carry on with the set up, to let the neck settle. I am not sure how long it has been sitting without strings.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Posts: 980Member
    A good dozen years ago I bought my then teenage son an Epiphone 56 goldtop. It was a great guitar (and not just for the money). Like you Jocko, I did the full service and setup and really liked the guitar. Years later when he wanted rid of it I was very tempted to buy it, but already had those tones covered with my other guitars. That and he'd just have kept 'borrowing' it back anyway.
    Do what you do so well Jocko and enjoy the guitar for a short time.
    I also have one of my own. But I'll still enjoy playing it. Here's mine,

• Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member
    I once heard a band and they were all playing Epiphone. They kept their real Gibsons at home. I couldn't tell the difference to be honest.
    I've tried both and I would say that any difference is minimal. A well set up Epi is far nicer to play than a shop bought Gibson.
  • nicholaspaulnicholaspaul Posts: 1,005Member
    Epi’s Seems to be great value for money. I recently played a 339 and really liked it. I couldn’t find fault with any aspect of it - sound, construction, finish, feel, setup - everything was amazing. For fun I also tried a new Gibson 335 and couldn’t put it down quick enough. There seemed to be something wrong with the fingerboard that made it sticky. It was like playing on flypaper. Really odd. I mentioned it to the staff and they just said “oh yes, it’s like that”.
    This isn’t a scientific comparison of the two brands, but when I fonud absolutely nothing wrong with the Epiphone 339 it convinced me to not want to stretch to Gibson prices for anything.

I too have a hankering for an E Les Paul but also have the tones covered elsewhere. LPs do have a different feel though, which is partly due to the neck angle.

Must do something about this GAS. I’ll probably be trying some Gretsches in the near future.
    Anyway, Jocko, looking forward to seeing how that black LP is coming along :)
    What a disappointment. Checked nut relief and it was a little low, but once I set the string height (bridge and fittings had been removed for cleaning), it was spot on. Neck relief was where I would have set it. I raised the pickups slightly then had a play. After a while I checked the intonation and all I had to do there was slightly adjust the A string. It took me longer to put all my tools away!
    Only difference between the two guitars is the truss rod cover. This one says Les Paul Custom, mine just says Gibson. Mine is a Samick 2002. This one is Un Sung 2005.
  • Kevin PeatKevin Peat Posts: 3,232Member
    Fantastic photo of the LP btw.
    Thanks. That was taken back when I was into photography. Still have the cameras, just don't have the inclination.
  • martinsmith99martinsmith99 Posts: 388Member
    I tried an epi lp at PMT in Birmingham last month. It was ok, but not good enough to tempt me to buy it. The sales guy then handed me a used Gordon Smith guitar and that sounded really cheap, but cost more than double the epi. The lowest action I've ever played though.
    I have an 85 Gordon-Smith, which I seldom play. Action is nice, and the thin neck has a lovely feel. I do like the coil tap options.